What's new

replacement bulbs on rptv (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
since thinking about getting a front projector and seeing all the fuss over replacement bulbs it made me think about my panny rptv. since it is projection i am assuming that there is a bulb to be burnt out in it as well.....does anyone know how long they typically last, and how much they cost to replace? just trying to think ahead of any expenses before buying a front projector.

thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

CRT's can last well over 10 years if treated properly. Replacement cost is about $400 to $500 per crt and there are 3 of them.

Regards

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
wow, that kinda sucks they are that expensive, i guess ill keep an eye on how long i leave it on now. thanks for the input

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Andy, replacing CRT's is not the same as replacing a bulb in a projector or a DLP set. As Michael said, they should last for 10 or more years with normal usage. Bulb life in a PJ or DLP is usually measured in hours, not years. No need to keep an eye on your viewing habits with your CRT based RPTV. After all, 8 hours a day for 10 years is around 30,000 hours; significantly more than any bulb. Just make sure to calibrate and it should last you well beyond the point you want to replace it.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
ok, thats good news. is there anything that i should do to help give it an easier 10 years, calibration etc....?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
is there anything that i should do to help give it an easier 10 years, calibration etc....?
pick up a calibration disc (Video Essentials or Avia) and adjust (at least) the brightness and contrast settings. they are most often set way too high out of the box and you'll gain viewing pleasure as well as crt lifespan from the adjustments.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

VE is no longer available. Only AVIA is.

Newer stuff is DVE and the Sound and Vision test disc.

Any of these three work fine for novices.

Mind you, there is a lot more to changing a crt than changing a bulb. It is like changing an oil filter versus pulling the engine out.

Regards

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Andy,
Keep in mind if you purchase an LCD or DLP RPTV, you'll be looking at a bulb replacement in those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks