What's new

Replacement Bulb for Projector (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Bane

Agent
I recently purchased a Sharp projector and am very happy with it. My question is whether I should go ahead and invest in a replacement bulb? Is there anything else that under normal circumstances go wrong with a projector aside from the bulb??

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Due to misuse of my projector in it's early days, I had 2 bulbs explode inside my projector. The first time, the bulb took out a board inside the unit. Lucky for me it was under warranty both times. Needless to say, I corrected the real problem immediately after that. If you can get a bulb then why not. I am in the process of trying to get a spare bulb for the new unit for half the price because it is easy to replace anyway.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Just a word of caution. It is possible that a new bulb used as a spare comes with a warranty that would expire before you used it. If memory serves, one strategy I've read being used by some is to buy a new bulb as soon as the previous one's warranty expires, then use the new bulb at least until its warranty expires. Then you could go back to the first one and wait until it blows, having the second one in hand. Such a strategy may make more sense with a fairly short warranty (90 days?). In any case, one would want to avoid "burning" a warranty for a boxed bulb and then having it blow up in its first days of use. One should read the bulb warranty.

Doug

Jeffrey Bane

Agent
Thank you both for your replies. It's funny. The same wife who hated the thought of purchasing a projector, is the same wife now wanting to purchase the extra bulb.

Stasulos

Stunt Coordinator
Neil, what kind of misuse was that? ;)
By the way, does anybody know why exactly these lamps are so expensive?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There is a power off button on my projector which, when pressed, continues to run the fan to cool down the bulb. Then there is another power off switch that cuts the power completely, including the power to the fan. This is the wrong way to power off the unit.

Stasulos

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, this power off thingy is typical as far as I know.

By the way about the bulb costs. I more and more get a feeling that this is the same as Gilette blades or Brita filters. You think you get a good deal on the main thing only to get screwed on replaceables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks