Replacement batteries for RC5000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Speights, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

The nickel metal hydride batteries have developed a memory and now only hold about 1/3 of a full charge. Anyone know where I can get a replacement battery and how much they cost?

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Christian,

These batteries are interchangeable with the Pronto and are available from Philips, cost used to be around $50 (what a rip), I'm sure you can find customer services' phone number on their web site. Marantz probably sells them too, but they are a custom size and not available elsewhere.

This is not a critisim, but I'm curious how you determined that the batteries have a "developed a memory and will only retain 1/3 charge"? Everything I've read about this type of battery says that they are unlikely to develop memory. If you're using the battery level meter on the remote to determine charge level -- this is an extremely unreliable indication. On my Pronto, I've seen a 1/3 level charge indication where the charger base will not provide any additional charge. It was just an indicator problem. There are many threads at remotecental.com on battery level/charger problems as well as a FAQ on the issue. Depending on your situation, the battery may be OK.

Best of luck,

Jim L

3. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Christian,

NiMH's are less prone to memory problems; but, as you discovered, they can develop them. They are easier to coax out of this condition, however. Have you tried "running the batteries down (almost) fully and recharging" 3 or 4 times? This should eliminate the problem.

Marty

4. Christian Speights

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I knew that NiMH batteries were less prone to develop a memory than NiCads...but I still thought mine had. That is, until I popped out the battery and put it back in again.

Then the battery level indicator showed a full charge. Seems it may not be as bad as I thought. Good thing too because I wasn't very excited about springing for another battery. (Haven't used it as much as I would like - I am a Mac user and am STILL trying to get the software to run.)

Have a serial cable on order that I am hoping will do the trick. With Virtual PC, a Keyspan adapter and a serial cable on the list of accessories I need to get this working, I didnt feel like adding to the list.

Thanks again.

5. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

Hi Christian,
    It doesn't sound like you have a battery charge problem it sounds more like a battery contact issue with your RC5000. The Pronto TSU/Marantz RC5.... family of remotes have a history of behaviour that you have described. It is well documented with several fixes on www.remotecentral.com. If your battery is OK now then don't mess with it however if the problem comes up again, remove the battery and use a pencil eraser to clean the silver contacts on the battery and also where they make contact inside the remote.
    Cheers,

6. Christian Speights

Wow! Great tip. Never would have occurred to me.
    [​IMG]

7. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Christian,

Looks like you solved the problem. I've experienced the same thing, meter shows 1/3 charged, you pop out the battery and reinstall and it shows a full charge. The meter on the pronto is notoriously unreliable.

As a side note, after a while it seems as though things get better. Almost like the meter and the charger get used to each other and the readings on the meter become accurate. I know this sounds like bs, but has been reported by several people. Remember, the meter on the Pronto was designed to work with regular batteries. The voltage on the rechargables is slightly different. Eventually the problem I was having cleared up. Until then, I kept reseating the battery to get the charger to charge and/or the meter to read correctly. The clearest indication of whether the battery is getting low is when the Pronto suddenly starts having a lot of reboots. It's very sensitive to low power. If it isn't rebooting the battery isn't low regardless of meter reading.

Jim L