Replaced my Tosh 5109 with CP72

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TrevorST, Jan 15, 2003.

1. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

I picked it up yesterday and must say I am happy with the unit. The picture quality is quite a bit better than the Tosh. I am also excited about DVD- Audio, although I never thought i would be. To try it out I picked up an R.E.M disc and the sound was incredible. For those that have the CP72/82 what black level are using ???

2. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

Hi Trevor...I did the exact same thing and so far I'm quite pleased with the CP72. I've had it for about a month and I found that its picture kicked my 5109. I'm using the darker setting on my Sony KP53HS10 and it seems fine.
    Kevin

3. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

I did the exact same thing as well. Got my CP72 a little over a week ago. Have it set to 'darker' while paired with my Sony XBR400.
    What the hell are we gonna do with our 5109's???? [​IMG]

4. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

I sold mine to someone at work. I felt guilty about it, and even pointed them to the DVD Shootout, but they were happy to have it.
    Of course, these days with progressive players going for as little as $69, it may not be worth it...
    Hmmm... pair of tin snips and a few hours of time, and you've got an attractive planter! [​IMG]
    Don

5. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

That's just the price we have to pay as early adopters. Pretty much any current generation player, except maybe the Sonys or Pioneers, look much superior than the 5109. I bought mine from Onecall for $600 when they first came out and I think I sold it on eBay for around $250 a year ago.

6. Chris_HD

Chris_HD Agent

Bought my 5109 for $550 and sold it for $100, replacing it with a CP72. So far I like the CP72 although my set was calibrated with the 5109 and needs another round using the CP72. Overall I am pleased with the CP72 PQ and have seen no evidence of this "white banding" grounding issue.

Chris

7. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

I have never had a problem in what to do with old equipment, I give it to one of my adult kids. Both my boys have pretty good systems and have never bought a thing. In fact this is how I have been able to upgrade without sending my wife thru the roof. She will do anything for her son's so as soon as I say one of them needs something she say's don't you have one.... My answer is well I was thinking of upgrading mine !!!! Deal done.