What's new

Replaced Carvin DCM1500 with Crown K2 driving Buttkicker (1 Viewer)

John H

Second Unit
I have been using a pair of original Buttkicker tactile transducers in my system for over a year now. I originally powered them with a pair of Carvin DCM1000's bridged mono, 1000w each
For the last few weeks I have been using a pair of DCM1500's. The 1500 uses a much larger and noiser fan. Even though they are housed in a closet I could still somewhat hear them during quiet passages at my listening position.
The clip indicators would flicker on both the 1000 and 1500 during demanding peaks.
I decided to move up to a pair of convection cooled Crown K2's (2500w @ 4 ohms bridged mono) for a little more headroom and to eliminate fan noise.
The Crowns are noticeably smoother feeling and wield the BK with more finesse.
John

Bruce N

Second Unit
Where did you get your Crowns John?

I'm thinking of getting a K1 or K2 for my pair of 20-39CS SV subs. I know that might be a little much for these subs but I want to upgrade to a pair of Ultras or a pair of 16-46CS+ in the future.

I've seen a couple used K2s on ebay go for $800-$900.

Thanks,

Bruce

John H

Second Unit
Ron at SVS was kind enough to special order me a pair. They only offer the K1 at their site.
John

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
That's a pretty heafty budget for just the transducers. I think my whole system cost's less than your transducer set up. Must be nice.

John H

Second Unit
Jeff,
I have been using TT's in my system for several years now.
I started out with an array of 8 RBH units. From that point on I was convinced that tactile transducers played an important role in the HT experience.
I experimented with both the Clark 329F and Platinum models before installing the Buttkickers. HT wouldn't be the same without them.
John

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
John, if you don't mind me asking, what'd the K2's cost on special order?

Interestingly, it appears that Carvin is now offically endorsed for the Buttkickers, according to the latest Carvin catalog.

Geordon

Grip
I am using a Carvin DCM4000 to drive my pair of BK2's. This is equivalent to 2 DCM2000's, giving each BK2 2000W. You are right about the loud fan, but currently, my amps are in the basement, and my HT is on the first floor, so this is not an issue. $2K may be a lot for tactile feedback, but it really seems to add a new dimension to movies and music.

Geordon

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Since you asked,

We can sell factory fresh Crown K2s for $1,399 plus shipping. I don't doubt you can find them for less around the web though.

Since we feel our service is an asset you should know you can use both SVS or Crown for support in this case; and yes we are "authorized" Crown dealers.

As noted already, the K2 would be massive overkill for our standard CS subs, but would be fine with a CS+ or CS-Ultra and SS. The K1 we stock is more than adequate, but it never hurts to have more power than you need.

Want more?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks