What's new

Replace Sony STR-DG910 with DTS-HD capable reciever and 3d (1 Viewer)

zenophobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Johnston
I've built an HTPC to stream my videos from my Synology DS410 and have started encoding my blu-rays with StaxRip using the original uncompressed audio. My current receiver a Sony STR-DG910 does not decode DTS-HD or TRUE-HD as most of my blu-ray collection is ripped into. If I encode using RIPBOT264 using FLAC or CORE it works fine but the audio is 5.1 not the original 7.1.
My price range is under $500 - 600 (as seen in below post have done little to no research just looking for some helpful direction)
Current Running List:
Sony STR-DN1030
Denon AVR-1612 no component inputs
Onkyo TX-NR717
Onkyo TX-NR616
Onkyo TX-NR515
Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Pioneer Elite VSX-42
Denon AVR-1913
Yamaha RX-V673BL
any other ideas
Must do DTS-HD and TRUE-HD as well as 3D passthru to my Toshiba 55L7200U
I need inputs for my PS3, HTPC, Cable DVR all 3d capable, Component input for Wii and possibly a front HDMI input for misc devices. I have an Wired port on my wall if needed or WIFI avail for those devices.
Edited: 12/15 7pm
changed price range and deleted/added text

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not to tough to find.
The Onkyo 717, 616 and 515. Not counting last years you can still find at NewEgg and A4L.
Yamaha just misses at $550 with the RX-V673.
Pioneer has the 1022 and 1122.
Elite has the VSX45 (I think, it is whatever one is $450)
The Denon AVR 1913 just missed at $530.
And those are just the 7.1. Not counting the 5.1, which with each brand...add another 2 or 3.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now, would you like to "fine tune" your search?
The fact you "include the Wii", yet "don't care how you have to connect it" leads me to think you have no idea what features you even need to look for. Because the AVR1613 shouldn't even be on your radar.

zenophobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Johnston
schan1269 said:
Now, would you like to "fine tune" your search?
The fact you "include the Wii", yet "don't care how you have to connect it" leads me to think you have no idea what features you even need to look for. Because the AVR1613 shouldn't even be on your radar.
i was just going off of reviews on http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-av-receivers
I would like an 7.1 capable receiver as I have the speaker setup for that.
Need at least 3 HDMI 1.4 inputs and 1 component input (HDMI - HTPC, PS3, Cable DVR) (Component - Wii)
Need at least 1 HDMI 1.4 output
Would like 100 wpc. (realize that this most likely is not possible in my price range.)
I have modified my original post.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Watts per channel x 7 is not a meaningful specification.
No AVR(except mega dollar $1500+) AVR chew enough power off the wall to accomplish much more than 45-50wpc.
For the Wii, you need/want HDMI up-conversion.
The Onkyo NR515/616/717 all have it.
The lowest cost Denon with it is the 1913(if you still want 7.1).
The Pioneer 1022 and 1122 both have it.
The Yamaha 673 has it.
The Sony 1030 and 830 do as well.

zenophobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Johnston
From my brief review of the listed devices I believe that the Onkyo set seem to suit me best.
The main difference between the 717-616-515 seems to be wps correct?
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and the 717 and 616 have Audyssey DSX and THX Select 2+ certification
is 10 W per channel worth an extra $100 in price..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Only you can answer that...
But if the 3rd zone doesn't matter to you either, then probably not. The "extra power" is a side benefit to what the 616, and then the 717 bring to the table.
The 717's main benefit over the 616 are the pre-outs, so if you wanted more power...hook up an amp.

zenophobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Johnston
schan1269 said:
Only you can answer that...
But if the 3rd zone doesn't matter to you either, then probably not. The "extra power" is a side benefit to what the 616, and then the 717 bring to the table.
The 717's main benefit over the 616 are the pre-outs, so if you wanted more power...hook up an amp.
So IRL the 616 fit's my needs quite well then. I don't have any high end stuff so separate amps etc.. are not needed and All i'm really looking for is DTS-HD MA and TruHD decoding with appropriate connections.
I am concerned on the overall reviews from buyers on the 616... it seems from amazon/newegg etc.. it is a 3 - 3 1/2 star out of 5... mostly for having to turn the volume up excessively.
Also the Pioneer 1122-k seems to have some HDMI connector issues...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
zenophobe said:
mostly for having to turn the volume up excessively.
The need to turn the volume up on the receiver is more indicative of a lack of speaker efficiency rather than a deficiency in the AVR itself. Crappy/inefficient speakers are simply going to suck more power. This is why spending $ on good speakers is recommended - good speakers can perform well even with a low-end AVR behind them whereas crappy speakers are going to sound crappy no matter what's powering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks