What's new

replace reciever (1 Viewer)

-Dman100-

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
Hi,

I just joined the forum. I'm really a novice with home theater equipment and the in's and out's of the home theater setup.

I'm looking at starting to upgrade and replace some old components and get a nice home theater setup.

Currently, I have an old NAD stereo reciever 701, which I've had for well over 15 years. This is probably the first component I would want to replace.

My home theater consists of a Hitachi 50V715 rear projection TV, a time warner DVR box, a toshiba dvd player SD 1800, technics multi disk cd player and two psb speakers. It's not much.

Currently, I don't even have the sound going thru the reciever.

I'm looking to replace all the components including the TV (DLP, LCD or plasma) depending on budget.

I'm interested in learning about recievers, what to look for, and recommendations on which brands top the list. Granted, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars just on a reciever, but I want to get a good setup.

Thanks.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Dwayne, welcome to HTF! The most common receiver brands on the market are Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, and to a lesser extent Harmon Kardon and Sony. Once you get into high-end brands you'd be looking at Pioneer Elite, Integra, Rotel, Arcam and the likes. Depending on your budget, I'd probably start by looking at Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and Marantz.

A few questions to get you started:

1. What is your overall budget for the home theater system, including receiver, speakers, subwoofer, cabling, surge protector, blu-ray player, universal remote, installation, etc?
2. What are the dimensions of your room?
3. Is this system primarily for music, sports, gaming, movies?
4. What type of music do you listen to?
5. Are you looking to purchase loudspeakers, bookshelf speakers, or satellite speakers?

You may want to consider building the system slowly, for instance many people will first purchase two front speakers and a receiver, then add a centre channel, subwoofer, and finally surrounds. This way you can build your dream system and not have to make big sacrifices along the way.

I wouldn't usually advise picking the receiver before the speakers.. First I would go and audition many sets of speakers to find the sound you are looking for, and then select the receiver based on the speakers you've selected and the feature set you are looking for. Be sure to bring with you CD's and DVD's that you are intimately familiar with. Speakers are a very subjective purchase, so be sure to trust your ears, they won't lie to you
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cheers,
Alon

-Dman100-

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
Hi Alon,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I really haven't put a cap on the budget for my home theater system. I don't want to go nuts and spend 20K, but I'm willing to spend the right amount to get a good system. Like you mentioned, I would want to buy the system slowly and piece by piece so I don't get killed by cost upfront.

The dimensions of my existing living room is approximately 12ft X 20ft. However, I am on the market to buy a new home, so those dimensions will change with a new home, so I want to buy something that is flexible.

The system would be primarily for movies, tv and music. Not games or sports.

I have a very ecletic taste in music, but some of my favorites are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Billy McLaughlin, rock, blues, jazz, etc...

I'm do know the difference between loudspeakers, bookshelf speakers and satellite speakers.

So, speakers should be first? What stores should I visit for home entertainment systems? I'm in Austin, Texas.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
-Dwayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks