What's new

Replace Marantz SR780? (1 Viewer)

JimHalv

Auditioning
Hi,

I recently got a PS3 and a Sanyo projector. Everything is going great until I watch a movie without a Dolby Digital Track. I've watched Golden Compas and Rescue Dawn in the last week and both have only a DTS track.

My current receiver does not have DTS and I watched both movies in Pro Logic. It drove me nuts. I've got a 100" screen that looks beautiful but severly lacking in the sound.

What would be a decent replacement for a Marantz SR780. I only have a 5.1 setup now but would like to purchase so I can move towards 7.1 later.

Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Virtually all receivers now include DTS and all but the least expensive are 7.1 How much are you thinking of spending? The Onkyo 605 ($299-399), Onkyo 805 ($650-699) and the Denon 3808 ($999-up) seem to be the most popular in their respective price ranges. But there are many others from Yamaha Pioneer, Marantz, H/K, etc.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow two years a member and this is your first post!!!

There are a million nice receivers on the market we need a price range to help. I remember the old Marantz SR780, nice early Dolby Digital receiver! Considering that your old Marantz is still working so well, would you favor that brand? There are great prices on Marantz and Onkyo gear at Accessories4less .

JimHalv

Auditioning
Hi,

I had an account here for about 6 years but I believe it was on my old email address so I signed up again a couple years ago. I've just been a casual reader since.

I purchased a Denon AVR-988 (2808) on the weekend. I was leaning towards another Marantz but didn't want to spend too much money right now. The Denon was on sale.

So far so good. I have all the audio handling I will need for some time. Just have to find a home for the old Marantz. Still works fantastic, but is just behind on the bells and whistles.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Good choice, how are you liking it so far? Do you have a PS3 or Blu-ray hooked up to it?

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks