What's new

replace fuses or is this more serious? (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
When I start my Jeep up I usually have to jiggle the key to get the radio,a/c,wipers and turn signal to come on/work.
Now I can't get them to work at all anymore. Does this sound like a short somewhere around the ignition or could it be the fuses?

Thanks for any info!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Nah. You have a loose connection at the ignition switch. Many cars use a harness connection right at the column (under the plastic cover in most cases). A friend had the same exact problem in a Windstar van. One of the clips holding the harness together had broken and one side was slipping out. All I had to do was tape the two sides tight. Easy. You may have some corrosion or simply one wire loose in there.

C. Ryan

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm interesting! I have no idea how to get into the column though. I took the dash apart earlier today and I couldn't figure it out.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
time to purchase a mechanic book from Chilton or the like. no male (or female for that matter) should be without one. get to know your vehicle.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Depending on the year of the jeep, you may need a steering wheel puller to get into the column.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
np, it's over mine too. i wasn't sure what he was talking about. so, 23 seconds of googling got me that link. i'm far from being a shadetree mechanic. i think the biggest thing i've ever done to one of my cars was replace the water pump. that was...oh...13 years ago or so. =P

seriously, get yourself one of these .

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Erin, puller may not work for that year. ESPECIALLY if you have an air bag. Don't tamper with the air bag or it could be fatal. :frowning:
I would do what Patrick recommends and get one of those books.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you can borrow a puller from autozone for free.

My guess is the ignition switch is going bad, do you have a heavy keyring or a lot of keys with your jeep key by chance? Check out a few jeep forums and ask them, I'm sure it's not an uncommon problem and they've probably seen it before. If it was working when you wiggle the key around I wouldn't bother with the harness behind the switch, it's probably something in the ignition not connecting.

Airbags aren't a big deal guys. They don't blow all by themselves. A little caution is all you need.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Like you said, not if your careful, but I didn't want Erin to start pulling out the airbag based on my suggestion on the off-chance something went wrong. Just CMA.

It does sound like you have a problem with the ignition switch. Erin, do you have a single sided key, or double sided? IIRC, if you have a single sided key, you can get the switch out only by pulling the steering wheel. If its a doulbe-sided key, there should be a small hole in the bottom of the column that you can slide a small poking tool through, find the retaining pin, turn the ignition past off, push the pin in, and the lock should slide out. But its been awhile since I did that for a living, so I would still consult the book, or possibly just hire a locksmith. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks