replace fuses or is this more serious?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Erin C, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

When I start my Jeep up I usually have to jiggle the key to get the radio,a/c,wipers and turn signal to come on/work.
    Now I can't get them to work at all anymore. Does this sound like a short somewhere around the ignition or could it be the fuses?

Thanks for any info!

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Nah. You have a loose connection at the ignition switch. Many cars use a harness connection right at the column (under the plastic cover in most cases). A friend had the same exact problem in a Windstar van. One of the clips holding the harness together had broken and one side was slipping out. All I had to do was tape the two sides tight. Easy. You may have some corrosion or simply one wire loose in there.

C. Ryan

3. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm interesting! I have no idea how to get into the column though. I took the dash apart earlier today and I couldn't figure it out.

4. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

time to purchase a mechanic book from Chilton or the like. no male (or female for that matter) should be without one. get to know your vehicle.

5. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Depending on the year of the jeep, you may need a steering wheel puller to get into the column.

6. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

puller?

7. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

its a 94 cherokee if that helps

8. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

9. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

Sorry most of this repair stuff is over my head Patrick

10. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

np, it's over mine too. i wasn't sure what he was talking about. so, 23 seconds of googling got me that link. i'm far from being a shadetree mechanic. i think the biggest thing i've ever done to one of my cars was replace the water pump. that was...oh...13 years ago or so. =P

seriously, get yourself one of these .

11. Philip_T

Erin, puller may not work for that year. ESPECIALLY if you have an air bag. Don't tamper with the air bag or it could be fatal. [​IMG]
    I would do what Patrick recommends and get one of those books.

12. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

No airbag fortunately! [​IMG]

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you can borrow a puller from autozone for free.

My guess is the ignition switch is going bad, do you have a heavy keyring or a lot of keys with your jeep key by chance? Check out a few jeep forums and ask them, I'm sure it's not an uncommon problem and they've probably seen it before. If it was working when you wiggle the key around I wouldn't bother with the harness behind the switch, it's probably something in the ignition not connecting.

Airbags aren't a big deal guys. They don't blow all by themselves. A little caution is all you need.

14. Philip_T

Like you said, not if your careful, but I didn't want Erin to start pulling out the airbag based on my suggestion on the off-chance something went wrong. Just CMA.

It does sound like you have a problem with the ignition switch. Erin, do you have a single sided key, or double sided? IIRC, if you have a single sided key, you can get the switch out only by pulling the steering wheel. If its a doulbe-sided key, there should be a small hole in the bottom of the column that you can slide a small poking tool through, find the retaining pin, turn the ignition past off, push the pin in, and the lock should slide out. But its been awhile since I did that for a living, so I would still consult the book, or possibly just hire a locksmith. Good luck.

15. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

I'm buying a manual nothing has worked yet.