Replace Fronts and Center or just Fronts??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheila, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Sheila

Sheila Auditioning

I need to replace two old Marantz floor speakers (one is blown). I have a fairly new center (Infinity CC-2) and sub (BU-120), Denon AVR-3200 receiver. The surrounds are also fairly new and are installed in the ceiling. I don't recall the make(they were purchased with the house), but I know that they are NOT Infinity. Here is my question: I know the goal is to match speakers, but since I already have a bit of a "mismatch", what advice can you give me as to what I should be looking for in new mains? Or should I buy new mains and a new center. I'd like to use the center if possible. I prefer towers, and am on a budget ($300 to $400 for the pair of mains). Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

sheila,

Yes, it is a real good deal to match the fronts with the center. If you like towers I think Paradigm Monitor 7's or 9's would be great. Many people think Paradigm gives you the best sound for the money. Then you can get a CC-370 to perfectly match these towers. The Monitor 7's are a litte above your price range however, I think they run about $500 (not sure). The CC-370 center is about $300. This would be a great front soundstage for a relatively low price. Just my .02

Paul

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Sheila,

Check out Ubid...many Infinity towers there. Also many other brands. I know there are those who say personal audition is best but nothing says you can't listen to speakers you're interested in at one place and buy them from another.

I got a pair of Wharfedale Emerald 97's in Walnut for $325 delivered. An absolute steal. Good Luck.