Replace front 3 speakers (L, C, R) without breaking the bank

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I want to replace my Center channel speaker and the rears from the HTiB that I bought earlier this year, and I thought I'd put my existing L and R front speakers where the rears are. So, I'd need to replace the front 3 speakers.
    The wife had all but given me the green light to go ahead and spend the $$, but a trip to Circuit City nearly ruined the whole idea. I explained that we'd be able to do this without spending $500.
    Can it be done? Any recommendations? I don't need something designed for high volumes.
    It would be great to get the 3 speakers for less than $350 if possible. I am looking for "best bang for the buck", so to speak.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

chris -
    i don't know price-points these days, but i think 350 may be a little tight. i definitely think it's doable for 500 though.
    in a worst-case scenario, just get either the mains or the center individually. you defintely don't want to sacrifice quality just to buy all three at once.
    the only brands that come to my mind include paradigm (always come very highly recommeded), energy, psb, def-tech, polk (which i have), klipsch...
    i think cc & gg should have some speakers within your range. i think i saw energy & boston acoustics at gg. i'm not sure what cc carries anymore...
    i'm sure others here will be able to give specific brand/models for you to review.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

3. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

$350 is tight, but you definitely have some options out there.
    For instance, what about a set of Level III Bookshelf speakers from HomeTheaterDirect.com ($199/pair) teamed with a Level III Center channel ($139). This would allow you to add a pair of their new towers later and transition the bookshelf speakers to be the rear surrounds.
    These speakers are very good for the money, especially the center channel. I don't see how they sell the center channel for $139. The only catch is that the center channel is a big, big speaker so make sure you check the dimensions and ensure you have room on top of the TV for it. If you have a 27" or larger you should be fine.
    There are other options too, JBL N24s, Phase Tech Teatro 4.5s, NHT Super Series, etc.
    ------------------
    Joel White
    Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

4. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

I second the JBL's. I haven't listened to the Level III's but I have the JBL N26's for my mains and the N-center as my center. http://www.jandr.com has the N26's for about $150 per pair, along with free shipping right now.
    Definately take a look at these. A very nice sound for a reasonable price........Wil
    ------------------
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time
    [Edited last by Wil_J on July 31, 2001 at 01:11 PM]

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

You may also want to check out the B&W 300 series.
    Big bang for little buck.
    Jeremy

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Father at www.harmonicdiscord.com is selling his wood nOrh 4.0s for $500. It is only the mains and center but still should be a wonderful deal. They are walnut in color.
    http://harmonicdiscord.com/forums/vi...378&forum=16&0
    I have a pair of blue/silver ceramic 4.0s that I'm selling for $325. If you like, I should be able to bring them over so you can audition them at your place. Send me an email and let me know. I live in Tampa.

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

you can probably get 3 klipsch sb-1 for $350.I am currently using 2 for my surrounds and they are great.Hard part will be buying just one,mabey special order?
    ------------------

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Chris,
    Here's my two cents...try the Axiom M3's. They're a great little bookshelf speaker and they'll put you at right around $200 (not including shipping), which'll leave you with a bit of money for a center. I've only had them for a few days, but I like what I hear!
    Good luck!

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    JBL Northridge series. i think J&R actually has the 5-piece set for $299! they also have free shipping now. i know you're looking for only 3 now, but they're good speakers, it's a great deal, and -hey- if you can replace all 5 for cheap, why not?

10. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

I was in your same boat about 6 months ago, with Bose speakers all around.
    I opted at the time for the Paradigm cc170 ($200) and the Paradigm Titans ($225). Pick up a nice pair of stands for the Titans with the extra money.
    I guarantee you will be amazed at the sound of these speakers for $425.. I know I was.

11. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

12. Chris Rock

I went to Best Buy and picked up a JBL N-Center speaker today after work. It was on sale. Whoa, it sure is different that the crappy center I had before!! Of course, its sound doesn't match the mains that I have, so I plan to replace the L and R Mains with the JBL N26's. If I get them for $200 for the pair, I will have stayed under the $350 limit.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    ------------------

13. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

You could probably pick up three NHT Super Ones for under $350. They are being discontinued and I've seen them for less than $125 each.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

14. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Let me preface this by saying that I have not listened to any of the speakers I'm about to talk about. I am in a similar situation as you. I'm looking for the best speaker per dollar value I can find. I've go it narrowed down to three companies. I'm considering the PSB Alphas, the Axioms, and the Home Theater Directs. I've seen nothing but good reviews for all three. The Alphas have recently been discontinued so a good value can probably be found. I am intrigued Axiom's use of titanium and aluminum for their tweeters and mids. I'm going to take a trip to Canada in the near future and will hopefully demo the Axioms and PSBs. After the trip I should know more. I am also anxiously awaiting the cheaphometheater.com shootout of speakers. Again, take this for what it's worth.

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Jonathan,
    Now let me preface this by saying that I am by no means an audiophile, nor do I have an iota of the experience with HT that many of the people on this site have. I just know what sounds good to me, that's why I can recommend the Axioms. I took a gamble on them a few weeks ago (two tower fronts, two bookshelf "surrounds" and a center) and they arrived this past Monday. After some very informal (without calibrations and such) listening sessions to both CDs and DVDs, I can say that I'm truly impressed! The Axioms are very fast/responsive and detailed. I too was initially interested in their usage of titanium tweeters and I have not been disappointed...they sound great. I read all of the reviews as you did and based my decision on experts such as the people in this forum. I'm sure the M3 bookshelfs will do very well in the shootout (I'm looking forward to the results myself). It sounds like you have a leg up on me in that you can listen to them first...I didn't have that option.
    Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about the Axioms!
    Good luck!
    Ron

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If anyone is interested in the discontinued NHTs, my local dealer is an authorized NHT reseller (full 5 year warranty) and is clearancing them. Here's the link:
    http://www.yawaonline.com/nhtsupdispai.html
    Their main page is in my sig file. Email them if you have any questions.
    Note: I don't work for them, they have just provided me 5+ years of excellent quality, service and value, so I share their info here. If you tell 'em that you heard through me, it reflects well on me when I buy there. Thanks!
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

17. Chris Rock

Last night, I brought home a pair of JBL N26 speakers to match the NCenter I bought a few days ago.
    After a quick calibration, I popped in T2UE, and the THX logo at the beginning blew me away. These speakers are a million times better than what I had (HTiB Speakers from Kenwood).
    Thanks for the recommendations from everyone. I spent $139 on the Center, and $179 on the N26's. Under $350, and I love it.
    Maybe in my next house, I'll get some matching N26's for the rears. Right now, I'm just gonna move the Front L and R speakers (that I just replaced) to the rear.
    ------------------

18. Cy Jervis

Cy Jervis Agent

Great choice. I have the n-24s as my rears and they are so good that I even considered ditching my Infinity rs5 fronts for the n26s.