What's new

replace blown sub? (1 Viewer)

Matt Sexton

Auditioning
I have an older Atlantic Technologies 12 sub woofer it has been great to me over the years... It still pounds out the bass, but now on higher level tones and at weird spots I get so distortion like paper rubbing on the woofer... I’m guessing it blown... Can I buy a new 12 woofer and replace the one in the box or am I better off just buying a whole new setup? Maybe its not blown does anyone have any ideas what it may be? Thanks for any help!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
It's not blown or it wouldn't make any noise.

As I recall this has a built-in amp. Either it or the driver are wearing out.

The amp has EQ specific to the driver so you can't just go out and buy any 12" and drop it in.

Your best bet is to replace it possibly with one of theses.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ge_ID=242#kits
or something from SVS

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The sound you’re hearing might be the voice coil rubbing, which would mean it’s damaged. The easiest way to tell is with a low-level signal; you’ll hear a buzzing or “scratching” sound that follows the audio signal. You can also tell by gently pushing the cone with equal pressure on all sides (i.e., keep the travel linear). If you hear a rubbing sound, chances are the VC is damaged or misaligned.

Your best bet is an identical placement. Call Atlantic’s parts department and see if they have a service replacement available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks