1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

replace blown sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt Sexton, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Matt Sexton

    Matt Sexton Auditioning

    Apr 5, 1999
    Likes Received:
    I have an older Atlantic Technologies 12 sub woofer it has been great to me over the years... It still pounds out the bass, but now on higher level tones and at weird spots I get so distortion like paper rubbing on the woofer... I’m guessing it blown... Can I buy a new 12 woofer and replace the one in the box or am I better off just buying a whole new setup? Maybe its not blown does anyone have any ideas what it may be? Thanks for any help!
  2. ThomasW

    ThomasW Cinematographer

    Nov 6, 1999
    Likes Received:
    It's not blown or it wouldn't make any noise.

    As I recall this has a built-in amp. Either it or the driver are wearing out.

    The amp has EQ specific to the driver so you can't just go out and buy any 12" and drop it in.

    Your best bet is to replace it possibly with one of theses.
    or something from SVS
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

    Aug 5, 1999
    Likes Received:
    Katy, TX
    Real Name:
    The sound you’re hearing might be the voice coil rubbing, which would mean it’s damaged. The easiest way to tell is with a low-level signal; you’ll hear a buzzing or “scratching” sound that follows the audio signal. You can also tell by gently pushing the cone with equal pressure on all sides (i.e., keep the travel linear). If you hear a rubbing sound, chances are the VC is damaged or misaligned.

    Your best bet is an identical placement. Call Atlantic’s parts department and see if they have a service replacement available.

    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Share This Page