What's new

Replace a Sony DVP7700 with progressive scan? (1 Viewer)

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently purchased a Mitsubishi WS55511 and now find myself with a decision to replace my DVD player. My Sony DVP7700 is about 3 years old and has served me well. Should I make the investment now to replace it with a progressive scan DVD player now or wait? I am willing to spend upwards of $1000.00 if the investment warrants...if so looking for suggestions since audioreview.com is so congested with "useless" reviews it is difficult to pick the wheat from the chaff without some idea of what you are looking for.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
While the former flagship 7700 was a great second-generation machine, perhaps the best of its day, you can achieve significantly better performance at a fraction of the price these days. And with the upper limit of your budget in mind, you have a terrific variety of options before you. I'd definitely go for a new progressive-scan machine. It's deinterlacing circuits might do the job better than your set's internal line doubler.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have a sony 860 and was wondering the same thing. When a friend bought a new progressive scan I asked him to bring it over before he installed it. I switched them back and forth and 3 of us couldn't tell the difference on my 32 XBR.
Might want to do the same before sinking a lot of money into a new one

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
one thing to consider before selling off the Sony is that they're only going for about $150US now. For that little money you might consider keeping it as a CD player since its still a very fine CD player/transport even if its DVD capabilites have been passed. As for a replacement the Denon's are currently where its at as far as picture quality so with that budget I'd seriously look at the Denon 2900 universal player.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I second the 2900.Layer change will be the past,and you also get a very fine CD/DVD-A/SACD player as well. It streets between 750-900 bucks these days.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I also have the 7700 in my system and will upgrading soon, even though I do not have the ability of using progressive scan (I don't have an HDTV). I am most interested in adding SACD/DVD-Audio to my system via a quality player with built-in bass management. Right now, I'm aiming for the new Denon DVD-2200. The 2900 is out of my price range, but I would get that model if I had the ability to do so.

I second the advice of not selling the player. You can always find some other room in the house to add a DVD player to. If all already have players hooked up, you could always sell/give it to a family member instead of selling it to a outside party.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks