Replace a RPTV screen???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt Parsons, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

Mar 18, 2001
    2004 is looking like an expensive year.....My daughter whacked my buddy's 55" Hitachi Ultravision RPTV w/a wiffle-ball bat last night breaking the screen!! (it appeared plastic/plexiglass).

Is it possible to just have the screen replaced on a RPTV?

He has a warranty on it through Circuit City but I assume it would not be covered?

FYI: He took it REALLY well - alot better than I would have!
  2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002

yes you should be able to get the screen-only replaced. It of course won't be covered by warranty, but it shouldn't be too expensive i wouldn't think. Though I've never had to replace an RPTV, so I don't know if they charge exorbitant amounts. Find the store or a service center, it shouldn't be that big a deal.
  3. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Feb 22, 2001
    Funny you should ask..... I just replaced the fresnel lens on my RPTV due to a scratching incident. It came to $347 [​IMG] altogether. I leave the glare screen off and it was my own damn fault so I figure I can't complain about eating the cost.

Pray that the glare screen protected the lenses from the bat or it could become very expensive very quickly.

A lot of people leave the glare screens off so you might be able to get one somebody isn't using. I'd check the forums. Usually the removal isn't too difficult but I highly suggest you help him when the time comes. Two pairs of hands can be essential. Be sure you know how the wiring is attached to the front panel when you remove it. You don't want to accidentally rip some wires.

The glare screen should just slide out without having to disturb the lenticular or fresnel lenses. Trust me, they scratch very easily. :b