repeater/blaster question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt Weldy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I have the denon 3803 reciever a comcast hdtv box and a sony dvd player. They are all behind closed doors. I was wondering what my options were in terms of a repeater. I tried the pyramids at radio shack and they didnt work. My cable box has an ir out. And I believe my reciever does to. I was just wondering what my options are.

2. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    I'm using the Xantech line, and it works flawlessly. Here's the link.Xantech
    You'll need a combination of emitters, a receiver and a connecting block.

3. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Matt, I am using Hot Link Pro (around $80) - works great!

http://www.hot-link.com/

good luck- let us know what you decide

-jim

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Go to www.smarthome.com and look at what they have to offer. I've just purchased several things from them and they were amazing to work with.

5. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

I did a search and came across this most recent thread (among others) and had a question for those of you that are using the Xantech unit.

I just moved this weekend and picked this up a while ago with the foresight of hiding all my major components in the cabinet of my entertainment center. I hooked my HT up this weekend, following the instructions for the Xantech unit and nothing works with the cabinets closed.

The setup seems pretty easy, but I could be missing something - place the emitter under or next to the IR repeater on the component, plug into the connecting block. Connect the Infrared receiver to the connecting block and plug the connecting block in. Am I missing something?!?

I currently have the infrared receiver sitting on top of the cable box, which is on top of the TV - could this be causing interference? I am using a Pronto to control everything in my HT - does the Pronto work with the Xantech?

Any ideas, advice, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Peter

6. Gary Silverman

Petey, my Xantech receiver has a red led that flashes when I send a remote command. You didn't mention a power supply.Also, you could try moving the emitter around a little bit. I think you should be right over the ir receiver on the component. Not always easy to see.

7. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Gary - I have the power supply plugged in to the connecting block. I also see the red led flash on the emitters on all my components when I use the remote with the cabinet open. Not sure about the infrared receiver, I'll have to check that.

Are you saying to place the emitter directly above the IR receiver on the component, or literally on top of (so it would now be covering) the IR receiver?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Pete

8. Gary Silverman

Literally on top, covering the ir receiver on the component.

9. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks - I'll try that and see if it works! I appreciate the help.

10. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

You can also use a video camera to verify that the emitters are blinking... A video camera will pick up the emitter LEDs blinking when u send an IR command from your remote.

You dont need to record just watch your viewer and you will see them blinking when u press a button on your remote. If they blink its working.

As said above play with placement I had troubles with my Toshiba DVD player but with moving my emitters around I was able to get it to work

11. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

Gary - thanks for the advice - it worked perfectly! I moved the emitters so they are sitting right on top of the ir receivers on all of my components and everything is now being controlled with the pronto, via the xantech system with the cabinet doors closed.

I appreciate the help (as does my wife who's happy the cabinet doors can stay closed now!! [​IMG] )

Pete