repairing old-school altec-lansing speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ted Lee, May 10, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

my uncle has a pair of old altec lansing speakers (sorry, don't know model, but can find out) that he bought like 20 years ago.

they're huge (approx 3ft square), with a single horn tweeter (i think), plus a big woofer. i think they are some sort of cinema-based series.

anyway, the paper surrounds have all but deteriorated. if anyone knows if this is repairable, i bet my uncle would be happy. he lives in the LA area.

thx!

ted

ps, here's a link to what they sort-of look like. not exactly, but kinda close.

2. Mike-W

Mike-W Extra

They are the home version of the Voice of the Theater speaker. The VOTT is a legendary speaker that was used in many theaters or auditoriums.

The woofers can be repaired. I would suggest that he contact a pro sound company.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx mike! i do remember my uncle telling me that was one of the selling points (theater use, etc.) -- so i'll have to do some checking around.

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

5. Robert AG

Robert AG Stunt Coordinator

Orange County Speaker Repair can repair Altec speakers and compression drivers. They are in Garden Grove, CA, just east of L.A.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

The model you have is either the model 19 (if the horn is metal) or the model 14 (if the horn is plastic).

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx robert - that may work for him. i've forwrded him the url. [​IMG]