repairing my crt?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Christ Reynolds, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ive had the same 27" trinitron crt for a few years now. i bought it for the s-video input, and gave my older 27" magnavox to my brother. last week, i'm watching lost on dvd, and it makes a clicking noise, then shuts off. i'm not entirely convinced the dharma intiative had nothing to do with this.

so now, when i try to turn it on, it sounds like it is turning on, but then makes the turning off sound, and then does so. probably a capacitor blown.

i know how dangerous televisions are to fix, especially when you don't know what not to touch. i'm usually the fix-it-yourselfer, but i'm not going to attempt this one.

i don't really want to buy a new tv, but i replaced it with a 21" piece of junk we had lying around, and it's already getting on my nerves. this past week, i bought a dell 2405fpw widescreen display, it has tons of inputs, so i could use that for a while.

my question is, are there still places that would fix a crt? would it even be worth it to get done?

CJ

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes there are still repair shops around, obviously if you live in the boonies it may be far away, but there are folks around who can fix electronics.

I don't want to sound condescending, but a phone book would be a pretty good place to start in a hunt for repair shops. If there's nothing there, you could try calling up some local electronics shops and asking around if they fix things or if they know of other places that fix stuff.

Be aware that some more established fix-it shops can be pretty pricey, i.e. they can charge a whole bunch just to look at what the problem is. Still, with a direct-view CRT, it would probably be a worthwhile fix because generally the expensive parts of a CRT display last for a long long time, so it's probably a cheap fix.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    wow, that was fast.

i wasnt really looking for actual repair shops in this thread, just whether or not to bother looking. i live in a fairly dense area, so finding a repair shop wouldnt be a problem, if they are still around. the tv isnt really worth that much, i think i paid $350 about 4 years ago. but i'd pay a fair amount to get it fixed. if it's more than a few bucks for parts and an hour or two labor, it probably wont be worth it for me.

CJ

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Typical repair costs for this type of problem on a Sony are in the $85 - $125 range. (at least in my shop but Peoria would be a long trip [​IMG] ) Usually poor solder connections will kill the horizontal output transistor which will take out some power supply components; pretty common failure.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Here's some I think in your area:
    Address:

ServiceMagic.com
    Free Match to Prescreened Appliance Contractors. Start a Request Now!
    (877) 526-1055 Web Site Serving Plymouth, MA
    GE Hotpoint Consumer Service
    (866) 601-1217 Web Site Serving Plymouth, MA
    Sears Parts & Repair Services
    We service all major brands no matter where you bought it.
    (866) 746-3543 Web Site Serving Plymouth, MA
    Mr. Appliance
    Expert Appliance Repair-We'll Fix Any Brand, Any Problem, Anytime.
    (866) 903-0369 Web Site Serving Plymouth, MA
    Whirlpool Parts
    Web Site Serving Plymouth, MA
    Mr. Appliance of Brockton: Appliance Repair
    Mr. Appliance of Brockton - expert appliance repair. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. More Info

This should get you started. Google is a very powerful search tool, helped me get the information I just pasted.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'd spend $125 to get this fixed, if it properly fixed what was wrong. that's a plymouth number, so maybe the trip will be fairly short.

thanks for the replies everyone!

CJ