Repairing internet connection ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kevin T, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

my friend let me borrow her computer because it wasn't working well. she's owned it for 5 years and never had any type of anti-virus software, never degfragged the hd, never done any type of performance tweaking. i hooked it up and ran an anti-spyware/worm/adware program that i had. it removed almost 4000 instances of these items. i installed avg anti-viral and now the internet connection doesn't work. so, basically i cleaned all the shit of the computer that was causing lag, pop-ups, and what not, but now it won't connect. i've opened her lan connection and tried the windows repair. it states it is unable to repair because it can't refresh the ip address / clean out arg cache. anybody have any clues how to reconnect this limping machine to the net? thanks.

kevin t

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

check the connection to make sure DHCP is still enabled. If all else fails, and if she has XP, do a System Restore.

3. Matt_Beals

Matt_Beals Extra

might sound stupid, but reset the router/cable modem by pulling the plug and plugging it back in. Then make sure all the network settings are for DHCP. It could also be a firewall being too agressive, so if there is one with that anti-virus package, try disabling it. You won't get hacked in the 10 minutes it's down.