Repairing DVD Players

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Checkmate1996, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Checkmate1996

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tackled persinally repairing their dvd players. I recently tore my sony dvp-s550d apart since it was having the classic 'no disc' read. I found the part# to replace the optical lense. I replaced the lens in the unit however the laser is not kicking on. According to the shipped documentation you are suppose to 'turn it on' by desoldering something on the pickup. Has anyone tried a similar procedure or know what I should be looking for? Any help is appreciated.

2. Checkmate1996

No hardcore electronic buffs? Still looking for info. Any help would be appreciated.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I've never done it... but I've heard of people replacing the whole laser transport. And, that was just a matter of unplugging the ribbon cable and swapping the transports.

"Desoldering" something to activate the laser sounds a little wierd to me. But... again I've never tried it.

Here is a website describing how to test the lens on a CD player... I'm sure most of this would apply to a DVD player as well.

Good Luck! And don't look into the lens!!

4. Checkmate1996

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I just stumbled onto that website last night and read it over. It has lots of good stuff. I in the process of emailing the author.

The repair FAQ even mentions the 'desoldering' bit. Apparently, sense the laser is super-sensitive to static electricity the manf. disables the laser while being shipped. I was able to do everything else with relative ease. However, that's where I'm stuck since I don't know how to do that.

The cool thing is I'm learning a lot about the 'guts' of the equipment and the subtle differences of what one is 'actually' paying for. If I can get this to work, I will have salvaged a great $400+ platyer. If not, it was a great learning experience.[​IMG]

5. Checkmate1996

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

YES! I did it! I found out how to 'desolder' the connection point between the laser diode and the objective lense. I recalibrated the dvd for SL/DL and CD. It works like a champ! $58 part saved me $$$$$$$$$$$ dreds.

Thanks everyone!

6. atila

atila Auditioning

Dear Brad,
    I have the same player and bought it in 2001. I like it very much and will be happy to keep it working. Its diode needs to be replaced and I want to use your experience about it. Please let me know the part number, place you ordered it and other issues you will think will help me.
    Any help appreciated.
    Atila

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Dude, look at the date of the post, it was 6 years ago! It no longer makes economic sense to pay $60 for a new part (if said part is even still available) to repair an ancient player when a new DVD player, better in every way, only costs $70. Or use this as an excuse to go Blu-ray ...

8. atila

atila Auditioning

Dear Stephen,
    I know it is an old post. I already bought a new one. Sony RDR HX-750 (I needed recording function and hdd). I am using that old one in my bedroom. I hate throwing away old electronic equipment. The world of technology garbage. So if possible i will try to fix it to use say another five years. By the way I realized that mine was DVP-S535D but i think the diode will be the same.