Repairing a VHS Tape

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Mar 1, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I have a VHS tape of television programs that fell from the back of the VCR to the floor, cracking the flap-device at the front of the tape. Most of it has come off, but not the part with the spring.

Can this be repaired?

Should I just superglue the plastic peices or can another tapes flap be applied?

Any suggestions?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It's just a protect-o-shield. No need for it other than to protect the guts, I believe.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If that's correct I'll go ahead and dub it tonight after removing parts that might fall off. Thanks Colin.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree w/colin. afaik, it's just there to protect the tape underneath.

don't forget...if you dub it you're going to have a 2nd generation copy...not sure if you care or not.

may be better to transfer the tape to a new case or just replace the flap part or glue it.

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

A similar thing happened to one of my kids' tapes. I just pulled all loose pieces off and it still works fine. But the tape is no longer protected outside of the vcr or storage box.

6. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I use to work in a video store when I was going to college. When a VHS tape broke like this we would find a spare video lying around and remove the reels from it and replace it with the reels from the broken tape. Basically you are taking the tape out of one and putting in the other. It is very easy. If you are concern about damage to the tape this is an option.