What's new

Repair Sim2 HT200 or By a New Projector??? (1 Viewer)

JamoDenver

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamison Hull
I moved into a house a little over a year ago and the seller left their Home Theater in place. I am not a true home theater buff but I do have a passion for great sound and a crisp picture with true colors. The previous home owner said that he spent over $20K on the system in 2001.

OK the question… A little over two weeks ago we had a electrical surge and lost power in the neighborhood. Everything survived except for the projector, a Sim2 HT200. It has a small surge protector on the outlet but I guess it was not enough. I have done all of the troubleshooting suggested in the manual but to no avail, still no power.

OK the real question… Should I send this out for repair or just buck up and buy a new projector that will accommodate my Direct TV HD signal as well as capitalize on the technological advances that have taken place over the past 7 years? I know that the Sim2 HT200 was highly rated in 2001 but does it compare to the projectors made today. Can I get a comparable or better 1080i projector for about $3K?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the advice.

Jamison

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"It has a small surge protector on the outlet but I guess it was not enough."

Look into the surge protector that you were using - many have a warrantee that will provide $$$ if it fails. You might be able to use this to either repair your system or get something new...if it does not, I would suggest getting something better, so whatever you do get does not get hit again...

Actually, you would have to replace it anyway, since it has already failed, I doubt it will still be functional...

JamoDenver

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamison Hull
I will certialy get a better surge protector with out question. I guess I will not know what the Sim2 repair cost will be untill I send it in. This will most likely be the first step and will only cost me shipping. The next step is to evaluate if it will be worth repair cost or invest the $ into a new projector. Will I notice a difference in a new projector if I am spendining $3K? Thanks.

Tyoneon

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi Jameson,

There are several projectors in the 3K range that will blow way your Sim2. Try the Epson Cinema Pro 1080UB or the Sanyo 2000.

JamoDenver

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamison Hull
Thanks Tyoneon, after doing a litle reaserch I am leanining toward the Sanyo 2000 especialy with the $600 rebate. I will have to act quick, the deal expires on the 31st.

I do want to be "blown away" if I am going to spend the money. Any more convincing comments would be appriciated by other members. Thanks to all.

Jamsion

Tyoneon

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi,

I recommended the Sanyo to a friend based on a single viewing and he was quite happy with it. Having seen the Sim2 HT-200 I have no doubt you will be blown away.

JamoDenver

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamison Hull
I hoked up the Z2000 yesterday and out of the box I was blown away. All I can say is WOW what a difference. I still need to dial it in in but the colors, picture, brightness, fan noise are far superior to the Sim2. It was well worth the money and will provide many hours of viewing enjoyment. Thanks for the advice Tyoneon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks