repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug D, May 29, 2002.

1. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

So I've had my Sony DVP-S300 for a while (since December '98), and I've been mostly very happy with it.

However, as of about fifteen minutes ago, for reasons I don't understand, the disc tray won't go in all the way to the player. It just sits there and churns after getting half way in, then spits it back up.

I opened up the player to see if it was something I could mess with, and a quick look pretty much convinced me that I'd either electrocute myself or ruin the player permanently before fixing it.

So: I can take this to get repaired. I have no idea how much that would cost. (I'm confident it's not in warranty, and it was a gift from a mom and pop store in Michigan - I'm in Oregon - so I'd just be going someplace blindly for repairs.)

Or: I can get a new player, and address some of the things that this one doesn't have - multi-region, MP3, DTS, and progressive scan, roughly in that order of priority. (A couple discs have some NASTY layer changes in the DVP-S300, and I'm hoping that a progressive scan player would fix that. Feel free to disabuse me. I've been happy with the image quality otherwise - I'm watching on a 27" TV, so it's not like I need to go super high end there.

One more variable: I'm buying a house, and don't want to put a lot of cash out of pocket for a new player. And if I do get a new DVD player, I definitely want multi-region and MP3 capacity at a minimum, as well as a player with a good service record.

Thoughts?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Getting the thing repaired would cost at least $50, probably more. You wouldn't have to add much to that dollar amount to get a new player with more features than your '98 model.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, since the warranty has expired on the 'S300, get a new player. Video performance has improved significantly since '98, and you will be able to get a player with better video quality for less than you paid for the 'S300. I'm sure the 'S300 has served you well for four years or so, but it's time to put it out to pasture. Don't invest money in repairing a four-year-old player.

As an example of a bargain player that should outperform your 'S300, take a look at the Sony DVP-NS500V for around $200. It is a quality video player, and it offers stereo and multi-channel SACD playback. It is being replaced by the 'NS755P ($300), which adds progressive-scan video output, so I don't know how much longer the 'NS500V will be available. Best Buy sells the 'NS500V. There are other quality players out there to consider, so if you state your budget, we'll make some suggestions.

4. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

Well, I woke up this morning and realized that the problem was that a disc had fallen back there. And I may be willing to give up a player, but I'm not about to give up a disc! [​IMG] So I redoubled my efforts to crack the case and got the disc out, and now the door closes.
    Nevertheless, I do think it is time for a new player. Here are my absolute requirements:
    * good service record/no known disc compatibility issues
    * region free
    * plays MP3s
    * handles layer changes as smoothly as possible.
    I'd also prefer DTS, although I think it's a no-brainer in terms of any decent player having it. (After looking into it, it appears progressive scan only helps on HDTV, and I'm years away from that, so it's not really a high priority.)
    I've actually been happy with the video quality on the S300 (although it may be just because I know what I'm missing), and as such I would strongly prefer a player that does the latter three functions.
    I would prefer to spend less than $200. On looking last night, the Daewoo 5800 seemed pretty darn good, although relatively recent.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, glad to hear that you were able to recover your disc and salvage the 'S300 in the process. However, I agree with your decision to get a new player. Unfortunately, I am not up on region-free players available in the US. There aren't too many such players out there. Frankly, I'm not sure if all region-free players are technically legal in the US because most manufacturers don't sell region-free models here. That said, I have seen region-free Pioneer players for sale at www.jandr.com , and J&R is legit.
    By the way, all players can pass a DTS bitstream through the digital outputs now. Most lack a DTS decoder, but you didn't say that you need it.