Repair or Replace

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brooks H, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

I was recently given an older model H/K CD Changer, the FL8400 when my parents upgraded. Its about 9 years old and the H/K receiver (same year, the AVRII I think) doesn't even have DD or DTS. It worked great for music and better than we were used to for surround sound. Problem is, last week someone spilled a drink on the changer and ruined the circuit board. My repairman said it would cost about $100 to replace, but also said the changer was a very good unit. I'm wondering if I should repair the changer (I like to keep things matching) or replace it if the newer models are that much better? I know I can find changers in that price range, but cant benefit from SACD with my current receiver and dont want to upgrade the receiver until after college. Also, if I should replace, where can i find the part online hopefully cheaper? Thanks.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

A very good unit to make him some money............I would hardly think a 9 year old CD player is worth fixing unless it was some $1000+ component back in the day......was it? Spend the money on a new one.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is almost no benefit to keeping everything matching, so don't let that be a deciding factor. You can always get a new H/K changer as well.

I agree with Wayne, if it wasn't a fairly expensive player, it probably isn't worth repairing. The expense of the repair is labor, probably not the parts. When my 10yr old Sony changer had a problem with a flex circuit on the tray, they wanted $80 to replace the $19 circuit. I replaced the player.