Repair or Replace?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brooks H, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

I have an older model H/K CD Changer, the FL8400 that got passed down to me when the parents upgraded. Its about 9 years old and works well for music and somewhat surround sound (the H/K receiver only has Pro Logic), but last week someone spilled a drink on the changer and fried the circuit board. My repairman said it would cost about $100 to replace the circuit board and I know I can get another decent changer near that price, but he also said it was a very good quality unit. My question is, would I be better off to repair or replace the unit? I like having everything match and the sound was good, but if never models are that much better I'd be willing to upgrade. Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Moral of story: Never let people muck around your equipment with drinks in their hands. I'd just replace the unit with a new model.

3. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

It's a tough call. I think if you wanted to stay in that $100.00 range your best bet would be to reapir the player you have. I don't think you will get the same quality in a new player in that price range.

4. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Do you know who spilled the drink? They should be the one paying for the repair.

5. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

No idea who spilled the drink. It was weird, the bottom of the CD Changer was wet but the receiver sitting on top of the changer wasn't wet at all. Not sure how the component on the bottom got wet and not the one on top...

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I would say replace. It's a 9 year old model, electronics change fairly rapidly over the years vs something like speakers which don't change all that much.

7. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

If I choose to replace, is there anywhere online I could get the part cheaper?