repair or replace

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad Russell, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Brad Russell

Brad Russell Stunt Coordinator

I have a PSB Subsonic III sub (12", 180 watts) that hums pretty loud (62dbs) with nothing hooked up to it. I have had the electrical system checked out as well. I have heard that PSB are notorious for this type thing and it is out of warranty. (Actually had the amp replaced once already under warranty.) So the question is repair or replace? Repair place said high end on the repair would be $250. I was hoping to replace with a SVS and move this one to the living room. The sub is about 6 - 7 years old. Should I repair it or will these days $250 get me a better sub than it is?

Thanks!

Brad

2. John S

John S Producer

Consider buy'n a new plate amp for it perhaps???

3. Brad Russell

Thought about that. So far haven't found one that would fit. Long skinny amp. Most of the ones I've seen are more square. Most amps I've seen are also in the 125.00 range. I'm not sure I want to spend 125.00 and have the amp "dangling" of the back.

4. John S

John S Producer

Ok, buy an extrenal amp, and just bypass all the electronics.

I added an Audio Source Amp/1A recently just for such a purpose recently to a system. 250w bridged or somehting like that, worked really great as well.

It is a hard call, because there are decent 12" powered subs that can be had for less than $150 out there.

A few of my friends got these AR S112PS subs, for like $120, and they are dang impressive, but that product seems to have dried up completely, one of the friends, I think got one of the very last ones available.

B&H has a Sony SA-WM500 12" 150 watt sub for $134.95, it gets good reviews, but I won't get to hear one til the second weekend in Jan. 04.... It gets real good reveiws, so I suggested it to the parents of a friend, as their JBL 12" fried just before xmas.

5. Brad Russell

anybody else have suggestions on an external amp?

Thanks
    Brad

6. Brad Russell

bump