1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Repair or Replace DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd B, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

My 2 1/2 year old Sony 560D died last night. [​IMG] I have been having intermitent skips on some discs over the last 4 months. While watching JP last night, it skipped several times. I took out the disc and cleaned it and also blew some air into the unit to clean it. When I put the disc back in, the transport started to make loud noises before coming up with a "No Disc" error. I tried a couple of other discs and same problem.
    So...the question of the day is: repair or replace?
    If I decide to replace, what would you suggest? I am connecting to a 4:3 monitor that does not do the squeeze and to a Denon 3300 that does do DD/DTS decoding. I am leaning toward the Sony NS300 or the Pioneer 440.
    If I do replace, do I need to recalibrate with Avia?
    Todd
    ------------------

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Is it under warranty? If it is, you could have it repaired and if you do not like the player, you could possibly sell it.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

3. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

It's out of warranty.
    ------------------

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

are you comfortable opening the thing up? i've had problems with vcr's & cd players in the past. i just opened them up, started goofing around with things on the inside and on most occasions got the thing to work again.
    after all...the thing is busted anyway. what more harm could you do?
    if you're not comfortable, i'd replace it. i doubt it'll be cost-effective to have it repaired.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

5. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I haven't tried having a DVD player reparired, but if it's anything like having a VCR repaired then it's a waste of time and money.
    A couple times in the past, I tried to get a VCR fixed. It ended up costing a lot of money and they never really worked right, even after several returns to the repair shop.
    I'd say, save yourself the aggravation and buy a new one...

6. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

90% chanche that it's either the laser head (if you hear the unit spinning the disc) or the spindle motor (if you don't hear anything or hear the unit revving up and down) prior to the 'no-disc' message.
    Either way, the labour cost will be about 1 hours plus the laser head/spindle motor parts. Certain manufacturer have the laser head and spindle motor stuck together as a one-piece assembly. If it is a singular assembly, it is very simple to do DIY and in most cases, it doesn't even need soldering (four screws and a couple of ribbon cable connectors).

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If it does cost more to fix than buy a new one, ask yourself if any new players do exactly what the old one can do. I spent $300 to replace the laser pickup on my Pioneer DVL-909 because not only do I like being able to play DVDs and LDs on the same machine (I could've just used it for LDs if I didn't get the DVD pickup fixed) but I'd be hard-pressed to find a comparable player that's region-selectable and Macrovision-free (which DOES affect the picture on my TV, thankyouverymuch!)