Repair old 45" projection TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Baucom, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom Stunt Coordinator

A relative of ours gave us a 1987 model year VS470R Mitsubishi 45" projection TV. You know, the kind with the nice wooden cabinet and doors that close over the screen when you aren't watching it. They purchased a new TV recently and just don't need it anymore.

Anyway, it needs a couple of convergence IC's replaced, a repair that I am told will cost me around $300.

Is it worth it to repair this TV, or should I just sell it?

My concern is whether this unit is near the end of its serviceable life. Also, if we were to repair it, how would the picture from my DVD player look?

Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

If it's been in use since 1987, it's near the end of its life. If you could really fix it for $300 it might be fun to play with, but don't expect too much longevity from it.

Jan

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That $300 repair bill for an obsolete RPTV already on life-support could be applied to better purchases.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Back int hose days convergence was hard to achieve even when the set was new. It was not unusual for there to be a two scan line error near the corners and edges.
    Also the number of inputs may have been very limited. Just one composite jack and just one S-video jack usually means just one thing can be connected, both jacks cannot be plugged at the same time.
    So it is hard to say whether you will be throwing good money after bad. A gamble at best.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

It might be fun to fix if you tried it yourself and could get the parts for a decent price, but $300, no way. You can get a decent similar newer one used for maybe $750, and a brand-new 54" Samsung or similar is less than a grand. It's fifteen years old. It's dead, Jim.