Repair of upgrade

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveSott, Dec 21, 2003.

1. SteveSott

SteveSott Extra

I bought the Sony 900 all in one system about 18 months ago. I am not disatisfied with the system but I didn't buy the extended warrantee and it is Ka-Put. I have a Sony Wega 36" TV and Sony VCR. The all in one amp runs surround sound on the TV and VCR but the Tray doesn't open and a DVD is in the amp. I called Sony and they wanted a flat rate of $240 to fix it. I took it to the local Sears store as they do Sony electronic repair and the estimate started at $59. They called and told me the logic board is bad and they wanted $350 for the board plus labor of $59 ($410).
    I was just wondering if it was going to cost me $240 plus the time lost, I might upgrade if I could get some kind of amp and DVD or DVD/CD player with a little more power for around $500 out of pocket. Is there such a decent low end system or should I just fix what I have? Thanks for your advice.

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

You could get an Onkyo 6.1-channel Home Theater (HT-760) for $500 (or about $450 refurbed from Onkyo)

You could get a refurbed 5.1 channel HT (HT-660) from Onkyo for $350

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...&p=i&ext_war=1

Neither has a DVD player included, but with the $350 5.1 system, you could find a good DVD player for the $150 to bring you to $500.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you'll be receiving specific model recommendations for replacing the HTiB, I'm moving this thread to A/V Sources. And, yes, I'd just replace this unit with a discreet A/V receiver, a DVD player, and a satellite/subwoofer speaker suite.

4. SteveSott

SteveSott Extra

Aaron, thanks for your advice and link. The Onkyo 660 looks like a great deal. I know I'll enjoy it better than the Sony C900. With the speakers and 2 year warrantee it will be about $100 more than repairing the Sony with half the power. All I need is a DVD player and I'm set.
    THanks again,
    Steve