What's new

Repair of upgrade (1 Viewer)

SteveSott

Grip
I bought the Sony 900 all in one system about 18 months ago. I am not disatisfied with the system but I didn't buy the extended warrantee and it is Ka-Put. I have a Sony Wega 36" TV and Sony VCR. The all in one amp runs surround sound on the TV and VCR but the Tray doesn't open and a DVD is in the amp. I called Sony and they wanted a flat rate of $240 to fix it. I took it to the local Sears store as they do Sony electronic repair and the estimate started at $59. They called and told me the logic board is bad and they wanted $350 for the board plus labor of $59 ($410).
I was just wondering if it was going to cost me $240 plus the time lost, I might upgrade if I could get some kind of amp and DVD or DVD/CD player with a little more power for around $500 out of pocket. Is there such a decent low end system or should I just fix what I have? Thanks for your advice.

AaronJB

Second Unit
You could get an Onkyo 6.1-channel Home Theater (HT-760) for $500 (or about $450 refurbed from Onkyo)

You could get a refurbed 5.1 channel HT (HT-660) from Onkyo for $350

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...&p=i&ext_war=1

Neither has a DVD player included, but with the $350 5.1 system, you could find a good DVD player for the $150 to bring you to $500.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since you'll be receiving specific model recommendations for replacing the HTiB, I'm moving this thread to A/V Sources. And, yes, I'd just replace this unit with a discreet A/V receiver, a DVD player, and a satellite/subwoofer speaker suite.

SteveSott

Grip
Aaron, thanks for your advice and link. The Onkyo 660 looks like a great deal. I know I'll enjoy it better than the Sony C900. With the speakers and 2 year warrantee it will be about $100 more than repairing the Sony with half the power. All I need is a DVD player and I'm set.
THanks again,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks