What's new

Repair of Pioneer CLD-D704. Questions? (1 Viewer)

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I have CLD-D704 LD player that is in need of repair. I think. I have it hooked up to a Sony KP53HS10 and have tried both s-video and composite cables. When watching movies or test screens when a white background is shown with a dark object on it it will bleed the dark object across the screen. Like when a face is shown the dark portion of the hair will bleed all the way across the screen. I hope this helps explain what it is doing. I've tried every setting under the sun and even hooked it up to another tv with the same results. Anybody know what is causing this? It also has the eject delay which just started. I'm looking for a good repair shop hopefully in Ventura County. If not any suggestions would be appreciated. If more info is needed I'll post more.

Thanks

Jim

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Jim,
AHHH thats my player also that so sucks that it needs repair. Hate to say this but from my own experience with broken LD equip and reading others it may be cheaper to sell yours on Egay and perhaps trying your luck and getting another player. Sending it for repair to Pioneer for example will most likely cost you a pretty penny :angry: Good Luck.....RIP Jim's Cld-d704

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jim, the slowness to eject indicates a dirty or worn out breaking pad, a minor problem. The other, I don't know but it sounds bad, sorry:frowning: ....Best wishes from Laserland!

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Wow I was hoping for better news than that:frowning: I would still like to look into repairing it. I'm not sure I would find anything any better out there. Even two to three hundred to repair it might be worth it. I still have over 200 LD's that I enjoy playing once and a while. Any suggestions? Does Pioneer have a actual repair facility or is it contracted out to authorized repair sites? Thanks again for the comments and would appreciate more....
Thanks
Jim

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Rachael,
I've been reading some of the posts about the LD-S9 avail from Japan. I noticed you had the S9 and was waiting for the X9. A couple of questions if you don't mind. How would you compare the two? Video look better on the X9 or is there that much difference? I guess if I sold my 704 and my old Sony LD player and my two Sony DVD players I could afford a S9. Got to get rid of some of this old stuff
;) Was it worth the risk ordering from overseas?
Thanks for any comments.
Jim

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jim, I now have an S9 and X9. For well-conditioned discs their video performance is very nearly the same. They do both have Pioneer's best comb filter and their top NTSC circuitry. By comparrison, the CLD-99 has Pioneer's second best comb filter. Also, both players are dedicated LD players, although the X9 also plays Muse Hi-Vision discs. Anyway, the important job of disc-clamping is not compromised for CDs or DVDs.
The X9 has several advantages. I said earlier that their performance for well-conditioned was close to the same. The X9's red laser will read dirty, scuffed, and rotted discs. I have rotted discs that I had once considered using for target practice, literally! Except for one that has a huge deep gash, the X9 plays them all. I figur this advantage looms large as my LD collection ages.
The X9's analog sound circuitry is in a word, SUPERIOR. I frequently use the analog outputs, sometimes even for LD's that have digtal sound. It has Burr-Brown D/A's. If the dialog sounds harsh running digital, odd are it won't going analog!
The X9 has what is called "D-EXT". It's on the remote and lights a red indicator light on the unit. It adjusts the colour temperature for U.S. LD's. Remember, the Japanese version of NTSC uses a lower colour temperature, about 4700 k. It's worked flawlessly for me.
The S9's advantages...It has the LD-G (Graphic) feature. If you have Japanese LDs it can come in handy. I have the bi-lingual version of STAR TREK INSURRECTION. You can access 3 different sets of subtitles, plus off. BTW, English is on the digital track and Japanese on the analog track. If the subtitles aren't "burned-in", you can remove them. Unfortuneatly, many sub's are burned-in, like STAR WARS PM's are.
The S9 is totally dedicated to 8 & 12 inch NTSC LD's. It's a grand less expensive. You really get bang for the buck with it! It's video performance is within a few % of the X9's. It has the same ergonomics, which I like, as the CLD's 79/99. It's remote is just like the 99's, adding two extra buttons for LD-G.
LD player production is just about over. Pioneer is making one more prodction run of X9's in Febuary. My favourite source is Daniel Law at The Chinese Club in Hong Kong. He is taking orders for X9's and proably S9's until 15 January. You can e-mail him for his price quotes, which include Fedex shipping BTW.
The S9 will proably be around $1600 and the X9 about $2600.
[email protected]
He's also a great source for multi-region DVD players. His reputation is immaculate. My first X9 arrived broken and he got me another. He's an A1 dude!!!!!!
I have another reliable source in Japan who is a bit higher priced. E-mail me if you need his address or just want to chat. There's no time to waste if you want a brand new machine. Best wishes from Laserland!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

I'd call around to your local authorized Pioneer shops and ask if they have experience with LD. Chances are someone will.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Thanks for the information and the suggestions. I'm going to try a few things this weekend and maybe try calling around some. I've read allot of posts in the AVS forum about the S-9 and X-9. If nothing works out I may check into the S-9. My main problem is if it was to ever die or have problems then where to go. We shall see.

Thanks Again

Jim

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I can recommend Scan Audio Services in Van Nuys at 8101 Orion Ave, 818-786-4240, over 20 years in the business. Yeah, not exactly close to Ventura County, but within striking distance. Ask for Vidar Bech. This is where I had my CLD-704 serviced on the recommendation of Dave at Dave's Video in Studio City. I have their card handy because I know it's only a matter of time before I'll need them again. I thought I had a more serious problem, but the 704 ended up just needing a routine alignment and cleaning, cost of $100, to fix a tracking problem. I also have the eject delay problem, have had it from early on and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, it's just annoying. The alignment did nothing to fix this problem.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Jay,

Thanks for the information. If I can't find anything out locally I can always take a quick trip down there.

Later

Jim

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Jay,

I forgot to ask have you tried cleaning the "brake" to fix the eject problem? I found the instructions on doing it. If you need them e-mailed to you let me know.

Later

Jim

Don Larson

Auditioning
My CLD-D704 has also always had the delay-eject "problem" (intermittently). It also has a somewhat noisy drive motor. Although it works OK, I would be interested in getting a maintenance overhaul/tune-up for this seven-year-old instrument. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Jim,

My 704 also has the same delay eject problem. Could you email me those cleaning instructions?

Thanks,

Gil

Don Larson

Auditioning
Jim was kind enough to email the instructions to me, too (thanks, Jim). It looks like he is now getting many requests for that email from other CLD-D704 owners, so to save him some work, I am just reprinting below what he sent:

Your not actually cleaning a "brake", but the thin rubber ring which supports the disc on top of the spindle motor. The symptom of a player that needs that ring cleaned is usually one where you press either STOP or EJECT while a disc is spinning and the player takes about 30 seconds to eject the disc. You see, the spindle motor doesn't just stop spinning the disc when you press STOP, but actually torques itself down for a couple of seconds. The contact between the rubber ring under the weight of the LD is usually enough to stop the disc quickly. Only when a speed sensor detects the LD has stopped, will the spindle motor lower the disc onto the disc tray and eject the tray. Grease buildup on the rubber ring will cause the disc to loose adhesion to the rubber ring and spin during the "braking" action. Once the "braking" stops, the spindle spins freely. If the disc has spun on a greasy rubber ring, it will still have momentum after the spindle has stopped braking, and will slowly spin down for about 30 seconds until it stops. The player will detect the disc has FINALLY stopped and eject the disc! To clean the ring, remove the player cover, run a Q-tip saturated with a small amount of head cleaner or alcohol that doesn't contain lotions around the ring several times. Allow to dry completely and test

Users who are viewing this thread