Repair Chipped Direct View Screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen C, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Stephen C

Stephen C Extra

I have three formerly wonderful boys, one of whom chipped the screen on my Sony Vega KB-36XBR400. It's a small chip . . . but it's there.

Does anyone have any experience with trying to repair something like this?

Options:

1)Replace screen (ouch!)

2) Glass repair like done for car windshields a possibility?

3) put kids up for adoption (but I'll still have the chip in the screen)

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Options 1 and 3.

Sorry, but your screen is damaged. If you can't live with it, then replacing the tube is your only option. And that's not cheap. Wish I had something better to tell you. I know it's a heartbreaker.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Tell everyone it is a BUG, just swat at it ever so often and mutter some profanity under your breath about bugs.
    It is amazing what you learn to live with, my bedroom TV is a 27 in Sony that got dropped in the parking lot by the thief who was running off with it, broke the bottom, all up one side , the screen looks like someone shot it with a shotgun ( well bad anyway), when it is on other than the picture being a little crooked it is great, especially since I don't watch it, my wife does and I got it for $60 new(after the incident)

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

All kidding aside there are some "Epoxys" out there that you can fiddle with, fill the holes, cut off excess with a razor blade just before it gets hard.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How about option 2, then demote it to a secondary display with the excuse to get a new primary display? I speak from much experience. I have a 27" TV (water damaged) that I fixed after a few months of tinkering with. It got demoted to a secondary display so I got a 32" TV which got dropped off its stand 2-3 times. It has discolouration on one side and it is now the primary-secondary display [​IMG] Now I use a FPTV setup that is mounted in the ceiling for protection [​IMG]
    BTW, I also have 3 boys. [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

Damn, chipping a TV screen is HARD (unless it is bouncing around in the back of a truck or something).

Frankly, replacing the picture tube will likely be as expensive as buying a new TV.

If it is very distracting, I'd pursue every other option (even the epoxy one, but I'd research the hell out of it).

7. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

If it's so noticeable you need to fix it, I'd try the glass repair ala windshield route. Auto parts stores have do it yourself kits that have everything you need. I don't know anyone who's done it, but it sounds like the best shot.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I would go for the windshield repair method.
    Ah, the old days of TV, the TV set had a safety glass panel in front of the tube. The purpose was to protect viewers in case the tube shattered from room vibration -- sonic boom, truck rumbling by, etc, but it also offered some protection to the tube from rambunctious kids.
    Nowadays the safety glass is still there, bonded to the tube front as a part of the overall tube, so as to reduce reflections. Can't be replaced except by replacing the whole tube.
    Maybe you could put the TV in a "home entertainment cabinet" with a "plexiglass" panel swung over the front when the kids are in the room watching.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Jack Briggs

Neil: How did that 32-inch manage to drop off its stand two or three times? Wow. This thread reaffirms for me why I am happy to be divorced. Nobody touches my equipment but me! [​IMG] JB

10. Jack Briggs

...though I do have to be persistent in helping my cat to understand that speakers are not gymnastics equipment nor scratching posts that happen to make good sound!

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Jack, if you read between the lines in my thread, you will see that I have 3 boys.

They are much better now but believe me, whatever HT hell story that there is, I have been through it.

12. Stephen C

Stephen C Extra

Jack, you mentioned you were divorced and nobody touches your equipment but you. Gotta tell you, though, I caught my 10 year old actually protecing my stuff -- he walked into the family room and saw that his 10 year old buddy had opened up one of the cabinets and was perusing the DVDs. My son said "Uh, Jake, I don't think you should be going through my dad's stuff."

Way to go! Unfortunately, this son is also the #1 suspect in the chipped screen incident which is the subject of the thread. Takes a thousand "attaboys" to make up for one "aw _ _ _ _."