Renting Xbox Games on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Sep 9, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I get most of my DVDs from Netflix and I love it.
    So I'm wondering if I could find something like that for my Xbox. I am tired of paying late fees to Blockbuster. I hate Blockbuster. Why should they get all my money?

Do any of you rent games off the net, and if so, whom do you rent from? Any recommendations?

I know this kind of question has been asked before, but A) I'm too lazy to search for it, and B) I'm hoping for the latest opinions on the topic.

2. James Zos

No one here rents games off the net?

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

4. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, there is a few places that work like Netflix for games...
    I use www.redoctane.com (The oldest and most established. No idea if it's the best though, as it's very difficult to get current games.)
    Also check out:
    govojo.com
    angelgamer.com
    boomeranggames.com

5. James Zos

Thanks for the responses!

Joel, it would be easier to return the games on time, except I work during the day and their 12:p.m. return deadline is a pain in the ass.
    Does anyone remember when most video stores had EVENING deadlines? The big chains switched to the afternoon because they knew they could catch more late fees that way - in fact a large percentage of Schlock Buster's profits come from late fees.
    If I'm not mistaken, they were the target of a class action suit relating to their late fee policies, some of which they were forced to change. For instance, they used to charge a full weeks rental for every DAY a rental was late, but because of the lawsuit now they charge a week's rental a week at a time. But they are still sleazy, IMO.
    I once dropped off two DVDs at 11:30 a.m., before the 5 day deadline, only to be billed a late fee for ONE of them. I KNOW I dropped them both off at the SAME time, I didn't make two trips. So I argued with them and they reluctantly agreed to drop the late fee, acting as if they were doing me a big favor when they had screwed up in the first place.

Kevin - thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check it out.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

In the wake of that suit, James, my local Block Buster now rents out till midnight instead of midday (giving you an extra 12 hours to return it).

Of course, it's an independent franchise so it doesn't do things exactly the same as "regular" BlockBusters.

7. James Zos

I didn't know there were independent Block Busters, Brian. I thought they were all run by corporate.

Speaking of corporate, here's another annoying little corporate practice.
    You may have noticed how in many chains, grocery stores, Wal-marts, etc, you can't walk five feet without an employee calling out "Hello" to you, as if they were an old friend. It always bugs me, because it isn't exactly a heart-felt greeting and the employee saying "Hello" doesn't really want to be saying "Hello" to me or any other customer, for that matter, he's just doing it because the company tells him he has to. We're both annoyed by it - so what's the point? Why do they make employees do this?
    At first I thought it was just a misguided attempt at making customers feel "welcome," but it's not even that - it's more annoying than that!
    I have a friend who works at Hollywood Video (don't ask me WHY he works there, he just does) and he says they told him to say "Hello" because they've done studies that show customers who are "personally" greeted by employees are less likely to shoplift.
    So when they say "hello," what they are really saying is: "Don't shoplift."
    He gets written up if he doesn't say "Hello," and if it happens too many times - they'll fire him.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I haven't been inside a blockbuster or other video store in about 4 years. Ever since I started using netflix. Unfortunately that means I don't rent video games anymore. Getting in the car and driving to the stores is such a major hassle compared to taking a walk down to your mailbox which you usually have to do everyday anyways. I got a survey from Netflix about 2 years ago that asked questions about video game rentals, but it doesn't look like anything will come from it.

9. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Actually the "noon deadline" was added by Blockbuster to help keep their customers from accruing late fees.
    Blockbuster rentals were originally due back by midnight. But so many people, for whatever reason, didn't return the rentals by midnight and where charged late fees. Blockbuster then decided to move the "midnight deadline" to a "noon deadline" the following day. They gave their customers extra time to return the rentals and not get charged late fees.
    But even with more time, some people still take their rentals back late and continue to complain. [​IMG]

10. Joel Mack

Indeed, Steven. I rented "Animal Crossing" yesterday morning. My week's rental is due back NEXT Wednesday at noon, meaning the week is 8 days long...

11. James Zos

I don't believe afternoon deadlines are more helpful than evening ones, no matter how many days you are given. I bet more people have trouble making afternoon deadlines - deadlines that end while they are most likely at work - than they do deadlines that end in the evening, when they are most likely not at work. Yes you could take something back a day before it is due, but most people wait till the last minute, and Blockbuster knows this. If they really want to be helpful by extending the time period, they would have made it the following evening, not the following afternoon.

If Blockbuster is so "helpful" when it comes to late fees, why were they forced to agree to a settlement when it came to their late fee practices?

12. Joel Mack

Because in a world of over-litigous dumbasses, it's easier and cheaper to settle than fight...

13. James Zos

What a predictable worldview you have. I knew someone would respond like that because it’s the kind of belief corporations spoon feed "dumbasses" on a daily basis.
    Then it gets endlessly regurgitated as if it were simply a matter of "common sense." As if the people who repeat it thought it up all by themselves.
    Let me see if I have this right.
    A bunch of consumers get ripped off by a corporation - charged weekly fees on a DAILY basis, charged late fees for videos they returned ON time, etc - so they take legal action and the corporation agrees to a settlement (all the while denying that it had ever done anything wrong, because corporations never do anything wrong, right?) and this makes those same consumers ... "dumbasses?"
    If you believe that ... I bet you are one of those people who support tort reform, right? You know what that is? Tort reform? If you do know what it is, I wonder if you know that it only applies to individuals suing corporations, not CORPORATIONS suing individuals, or other corporations. After all, we would never want to restrict the right of a corporation to do whatever it wants. Just consumers.
    You must know that, because you're not a "dumbass" like those "overly litigious" people ... right?

PS: I just re-read this response and it has an overly personal tone that I now regret. I think the use of the term "dumbasses" set me off, not to mention the fact that I feel strongly about the ideas touched upon here. But I should be able to argue about ideas without those arguments turning personal, so I apologize if my response causes you any personal offense, Joel.

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Weird thread. Guy asks if you can rent video games online and everybody starts bickering about Blockbuster's late fee policies.

Back on topic, is there any place out there besides redoctane?

15. Joel Mack

16. James Zos

"I've never paid a penny in late fees to BB, so I guess I don't understand what the big deal is... sorry..."

Many of the people who participated in the class action lawsuit did so because they were charged late fees by Blockbuster for things they had returned ON time. You can persist in believing it was simply sheer laziness on their part if you wish. I'm not going to keep arguing with you about it, because it is obvious your mind is made up.
    By the way, I was not part of the suit, but I myself have been charged late fees for dvds I turned in ON time. Perhaps if you had had the same experience, you might be a little less likely to reflexively place blame on the consumers, instead of the corporation.

17. James Zos

Evan, I'm still looking into redoctane, but in the meantime I found this site:
    http://www.numbthumb.com/
    I don't know much about it, but it seems to be set up much like Netflix. It's $13.95 a month with a two-game-at-a-time limit, and no late fees. I'll let you know if I find out anything else.
    If anyone has any experience with any of these net rental companies, please post it.

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

For whatever it matters, when I used to go to Blockbuster years ago they charged me a late fee for a movie that I returned well in advance. I told the clerk I refuse to pay. I turned it in well ahead of time and I'm not paying. They removed the late fee after a few minutes of me saying the same thing over and over.