What's new

Renting a ATSC Tuner (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know of a place where I can rent a ATCS tuner for a fiew days? Namely for the superbowl. Right now ABC is the only OTA channel in my area that is broadcasting in DTV. Buy the end of next year the big four (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) should be up and running. So Im going to wait for more compeition and price drops to buy a ATSC DirectTV tuner. But I would like to rent one so I can show the superbowl at my party in HDTV.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Extremely doubtful, especially in Ohio. They'd also probably charge you $100/day to rent it

does you cable company have hD support yet? Getting 1 month of cable w/HD then canning it would be cheaper anyway

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
You could probably buy a used one on eBay and then sell it after the Super Bowl. You shouldn't lose too much on the deal beyond shipping and eBay fees.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
The cable company does have HD although its just HBO, SHO, and PPV channels they don't have local HD channels yet. Maybe ill get lucky and they will by superbowl time. The ebay thing is a good idea I should be able to sell it for around what I paid for it. Unless a bunch of other people buy ATSC tuners for the superbowl and create a larger market only to have prices drop post-superbowl. Does anyone know some model numbers of older ATSC tuners off hand?

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
Some that come to mind:

Samsung SIR-T150
Panasonic TU-HDS20
Mitsubishi SR-HD5
Toshiba DST-3000
RCA DTC-100 (Doesn't have component outputs)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
If you really wanted to be unethical, you could buy one from a store (such as Circuit City) with a liberal return policy and take it back for a refund after the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks