What's new

Rented Pearl Harbor + noticed something bad at the video stores!!! (1 Viewer)

C

Christina_V

frist off........the movie..........dvd looks and sounds incredible & the movie itself? Pure big budget, over-dramatic camp that also does have it's sweet & sad moments.....as well as being really corny,yet entertaining as long as you don't take the movie to seriously.
Of course after the attack(amazing and heart wrenching!), the movie does go into overkill to have a "happy" ending,when it should've ended sometime right after the attack and be really powerful.
I can't wait for the director's cut though since the obvious censoring durring the hospitol scenes as well as other footage cut out to get a PG-13 does become distracting and lessons the impact.
I rented it from Hollywood video,though did stop at Blockbu$ter with my little brother first because he wanted to go there......i have'nt been in there for nearly a year(& have't rented for longer than that time it seems) & well i hate the dam place.....the clerks watch you closely(+ follow you around!),as if you're a criminal ect ect. DVD section all P&S if separete releases where made. Only rated versions ect if an Unrated was also released as always............though i did find this extremly odd for BB......they had Pink Flamingo's on video & it says NC-17 clearly on the box,of course they put a dumb restricted vewing sticker on it.
I have'nt seen the movie yet and plan on renting it sometime,but i was suprised to see it at BB since i know a R version was never released. & while that was a suprise dont' let that fool you,this BB sucks and practically all other movies released in 2 versions,they only carry the rated,with a couple rare exceptions.
Well PH was all rented & i didn't want to get it on video, my brother wanted to check out Scary Movie 2,dvds rented & since i would have to pay for it, didn't wanna waste $$ on video & was interested in seeing the deleted footage,though im' sure not all of it was included on the release as well(same as the 1st) and see it in OAR. I'm sure it won't be that good of a movie,but will give it a chance first.
Though just for fun before we left i asked if they had the widescreen version of Jurasic Park 3(movies not that good,was'nt planning on renting either way)...they said no......& i told them well then i'll take my business else where since you refuse to stock movies in WS + also not carry Unrated versions when avalible! They were suprised and did'nt know what to say,lol & we just left.
So i stop by Hollywood,havent been there in years also.........and well they're begining to really suck as well & are just as bad as BB. At first i thought they where kewl when they first opened up when i was 15,since they carried unrated/NC-17 at the time & we where stuck with BB for awhile til then because they ran another great video store out of busniess:frowning:
They had Pearl Harbor on dvd,no Scary Movie 2. At least for the most part they did have both WS & P&S versions of some movies like JP3. But as for Rated & unrated......they only stock Rated now & whats worse....they started getting rid of all the older films they have in Unrated form & now have the rated versions only!!!
No more Unrated True Romance,Natural Born Killers, Jason Goes To Hell,Dead/Alive,Basic Instinct 9 1/2 Weeks ect ect + NC-17 Bad Liutenant, ShowGirls..........only the censored versions to all those and every other film released in 2 versions:frowning:
I think i'm through with them for good now & if i ever do decide to rent once in awhile....i'll get a membership at Home Video...which stocks Unrated/NC-17 only or both versions + WS only on dvd + has tons of rare,hard to find videos ect & a much better selection overall. It's the only other video store in town near me,so it's my only choice besides buying.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I gave up renting almost a year ago. I may be missing out but I refuse to support these P&S palaces!!

I wait until I see reviews for a movie and if it looks favorable and is available in OAR I will buy it, I haven't bought a movie I don't like yet! While I'm a huge film lover, I'm not the worlds biggest film critic, I'm easy to please!

C

Christina_V

Yeah......well considering all the crap PH has gotten......i'm sure someone would've posted saying how much it sucks,corny ect it is......sure it's campy,cliched....though has it's moments!......but it's at least entertaining and interesting up until after the attack.
Theres far worse movies out there than PH.
As for renting.....since getting a dvd player....i buy more than i rent,though only have just under 100 & we've had the player about 2 years. So my collection is all good and steady so far,only bought all time favorites + a few site unseen that turned out better than i thought & are definate keepers!
I'll try renting once in awhile.....since i can't buy every film i want to see ect + am careful with my $$.
But i'm going to do my best and avoid Holywood & BB from now on!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I actually won a free copy of PH, and knowing Bruckheimer, and the fact I like Ben Affleck movies I am almost 100% sure I will like it. I am going to watch it this weekend, I have not seen it at all yet.
Here where I live we do not have a rental store with DVD's at all, so I would have to drive 25 miles to a BB or other DVD equipped rental store, so with the gas I save, I just buy them.
I've bought about 30 DVD's in 2 months time, I now have 102 DVD's, my collection has really grown since I moved to Montana.
Hey maybe I'll open up Anaconda, Montana's first and only Strictly OAR DVD rental shop! Yeah it should go over pretty good with the 3 people in town that own DVD players!:)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
It was probably a mistake but according to Video Business magazine the directors cut of Pearl Harbor is going to be unrated. I doubt Disney would allow such a release but if it's true It'd be interesting to see how Blockbuster and Hollywood would handle it.

C

Christina_V

I did see PH in theaters..and thought it was so so,aside from the incredible attack sequence. It was probably all the crap it was getting was so high,that it was on my mind the whole time while seeing it........but i'm alot more open minded than most people & gave them film another look & it's alot better than people make it out to be!
Some people seem to take all movies alittle to seriously.
But i'm gonna skip buying it for now and wait for the rated R mega disc set...which should be a much more powerful experiance.
As for video stores......way back(early 90's) my cousin and i who where really into movies then thought it would be a good idea to start some kind of business & maybe create our own video chain & try our best to get hurt BB & other crappy conservative stores business.
Doubt it'll ever happen + was just wishful thinking back then, but if i ever did decide to............it'd have
mainly dvds,but all OAR!
VHS would have OAR only when avalible + mostly out of print,rare ect stuff not on dvd yet.
Unrated/NC-17 versions only if those versions are released for various movies..maybe have the rated versions also for(free) rental as a double feature to show the differences between the 2 versions....again helps educate people!
Info(pic comparisons ect) on WS vs P&S to actually educate people.
good prices,huge selection & staff that know there stuff!
Basically everything BB & Hollywood(& others) don't have,lmao:)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I think the key is to rent WS only. If a store offers only P&S, boycott the store. But if they offer both and it's a place you'd like to rent from, show your support for WS by renting there and making your influence felt. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks