Rentals start talking numbers.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JackKay, Apr 28, 2006.

1. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

From Video Business Online.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6329564.html

Quote: "Citing studio research, VBG’s Engen believes that by the end of 2006, there will be 400,000 HD DVD players in households. If Microsoft adds its external drive to 360 in that frame, that number will likely near 1 million.

By year’s end, there should be 200,000 to 300,000 Blu-ray players in homes. That could soar to more than 3 million, if PlayStation 3 does bow in 2006."

Interesting stuff

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Very interesting, but my guess is the numbers can be real because of XBox 360 for HD-DVD and PS3 for BR as enumerated in the article. The only thing that may change it if there's another delay for PS3 and I believe I read somewhere that they may not make the Christmas rush this year hence dropping that number for BR drastically.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Even if PS3 does make it out for the Christmas buying season, it won't meet demand anyway. Both Microsoft and Sony have been horrible about having enough stock to meet the initial rush. If those numbers were being forecast for the end of 2007, they'd be more realistic.

Plus, they're aren't going to sell 600,000 units with only 20-30 titles to show. They need to seriously step up the releasing of films to the format, somewhere in the range of 100 titles available by this Christmas.
    Bruce

4. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

I question those numbers. To date no Console add-on has ever sold well, and I really can't imagine that a HD-DVD drive that doesn't enable any games will sell well at all. I could be wrong, but I really can't imagine that it'll outself actual HD-DVD players by nearly a factor of 2.

I also agree with Bruce. Not only do I not think it'll make it out before 2007, even if it does I believe it'll be in limited quantites. Sony just in April started testing components, so it's doubtfull that even developers have PS3 hardware yet. Holiday 2006 is going to be a really tough push if they can't even get hardware to developers in the first half of the year.

I mean honestly, not a single piece of PS3 software has been run on a PS3 before April, and it's possible that there still aren't any actual PS3's yet. How many bugs are going to pop up because no one has been able to see what a PS3 actually does with their code?