What's new

Rental troubles (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
BB actually got in trouble for charging more for late charges than they charge for regular rentals. Big class-action lawsuit. They proposed a settlement giving free rentals to people who had been overcharged, but I never heard anything more about it. Now they've instated the back before noon on the third or sixth day policy. This actually brings in more money because most people are AT WORK at noon and don't get the movies back until later in the day. Legal but oh so sneaky. I hate Corporate America.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

The lawsuit was about people who didn't like paying full price for a tape that was a few hours late. No one was "overcharged" late fees, they simply didn't like the policy. Blobkbuster NEVER changed their return time. It has been noon since Jan or Feb 2000 and has not changed at all since then. They changed it to noon in the first place because of complaints that people were asleep at midnight and couldn't bring the tapes back. Blockbuster changed their policy, giving renters 12 extra hours to return tapes to allow working people to bring back their rentals on their way to work in the morning.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
BB is how old? 2000 wasn't that long ago. I still stand by my assertion that they're making more money off of their "Noon" return policy than the old policy. Work for Viacom, Matt? ;)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
No comment. ;) I just hate to see Blockbuster being constantly bashed on. Let's see, out of my 220 or so posts I'd say around 10 of those are in defense of BBV. My experience with them has been very very good (save for the thankfully brief fullscreen period a while back)
As far as Eric T's unfortunate experience I would definitely recommend writing or calling the corporate office. If he kept a 5-day rental 5 days late, he should only have been charged a 3.79 fee and nothing more. Either that Blockbuster is very shady or Eric T's story is.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Well I must dig up this old thread to make a complaint about Blockbuster. Been tolerant of them for quite some time...

Now tonight I rent Napoleon Dynamite. I see on the back of the case that it contains widescreen and fullscreen. The thought never occured to me to check the DVD before leaving. I wish I did.

The widescreen side has a number scribbled onto it in felt marker. Some BBV number, but it's on the widescreen side. I checked random points on the film with PowerDVD and while it plays at some, at one section the player frooze completely. So it is unplayable. I know it's only a 1:85 movie, but come on! If I intend to be a crusader of the widescreen issue, why must I put up with this? (I'd drive back and complain right now but I'm still a little spooked by nearly getting run into by a red light runner adding to my frustration.) I shouldn't have to watch the pan n' scan when I expected a widescreen copy right?

Am I the only one this has happened to with regard to this title?

John*P

Second Unit
The majority of DVDs I rent usually have a decent amount of fingerprints and/or scratches on them. I don't put them in my player till I've wiped the prints and markings off. (can't wipe the scratches off, tho) They usually play fine, except for when I recently rented A.I.; it was an older disc that was covered in scratches, and the movie froze up a few times towards the end...

I was recently at Blockbuster, and found a used copy of The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys for sale on DVD for $7.99. I definitely want to own this movie, and so I brought it to the register and asked the clerk if I could check the condition of the disc. He opened the case, looked at the disc and said "There are a few fingerprints, its not too bad." He then handed me the disc...and it was full of scratches. Needless to say, it went back on the shelf. (never mind the fact that there were Blockbuster stickers on the front and back of the box...)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Interesting,

Cut a long story short. We've always had an early return incentive, where the earlier you return it, the more credits you get back for a free rental.

But people will always find something to complain about.
Now with the rampant piracy, we've started flat rate subscription plans in store. FREE rentals for 30 days, no late fees. Just pay your monthly fee.

And yes, we've always had a scratch free policy, or it's free. With the FREE rentals though, complaints would be moot.

Double-sided discs always suck for rentals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks