What's new

Rental THE MATADOR, interlaced? (1 Viewer)

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I have just watched the rental release of the THE MATADOR DVD and the movie played "jumpy", as if skipping some frames throughout, and the dreaded, venetian blind-like effect of interlaced video reared its ugly head here and there.

I have an admittedly mid-to-low range Pioneer player, set to progressive video output, hooked through component to my Sony CRT HDTV KD-34XBR970, also set to progressive video with 3:2 pulldown, and this setup has never given me this kind of problems.

Strangely enough, all online reviews I have found for this DVD agree on its picture quality; but then again, they list several extra features not included on the rental disc, so it seems they are different releases.

Could it be that the rental release was coded as interlaced video instead of progressive? Because, as soon as I set both my TV and DVD player to interlaced, the issue vanished (although then image went waaaay softer, and blacks turned much less solid, almost grayish – I did not know switching from progressive to interlaced affected contrast and hue).

It is not really a big issue, but I would like to know what's the deal here.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I noticed this as well...From reading various items online, it seems that Ballbuster received copies that were different from the retail release.

My rental copy didn't have special features.

This seems to be a Ballbuster issue. Hollywood Video and other places have the retail version.

I'm wondering if these were DVD Screeners or something..those usually have interlace problems.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Mine was from Ballbuster indeed, Rakesh.

Again, not a big deal, but I felt uncomfortable not knowing the reason why.

If I had my Pioneer Elite player with me, it could easily tell me whether the video encoding is interlaced or profressive, but I am living away from my home and thus have to settle for my current, provisional player, which is lacking that feature.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

As I mentioned earlier, I think every rental chain except Ballbuster received the retail copy.

This problem seems to lie with BB's copies only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks