rental dvd's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Jul 19, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

just wondering if you guys clean your dvd's that you rent from the video store before playing them. I hear so much about keeping your dvd player clean. does renting dvd's dirty up the dvd players a lot.
    Also is there an easy method for in home cleaning of the dvd player. do they sell a kit or something to clean the inside periodically. thanks

2. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Yes most definitely!!!!!! Nothing worse than getting half-way through a movie and having to take it out and clean it. I clean every rental dvd just for that fact. Even clean my own after they have been loaned out haven't had to do that in over a year because I DON'T loan anymore!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If there is dust and other contamination on the disc when it is inserted into the player, then, yes, the player will get dirty--especially the laser pickup.

As for cleaning, use either distilled water and mild detergent or a non-amonia-based glass cleaner applied to a very smooth cloth (one used for cleaning eye glasses would be perfect), and wipe from the center of the disc outward. And wipe in strokes perpendicular to the data track.

Deep scratches cannot be removed without some sort of mild abrasive rubbing compound--and that can present more problems that it solves.

4. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I use a glasses cleaning kit. You can pick these up at any eye doctor, Pearle, Lens Crafters, Sunglass Hut, etc. They come with a soft, lint-free cloth and some sort of mild spray.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That's perfect, Colin.