What's new

RENT (the musical) (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I knew that, but I had thought the single (with Stevie Wonder) was released under that title with Seasons of Love in parentheses (which had been the only version I had heard until seeing the movie and noting it had been chopped in two). It's a fantastic song, and this may sound morbid, but it's something I have put into my will to have played at my funeral when that, hopefully, long off day comes. That's how much the message of the song moved me.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
A really short synopis:

Well, Rent was really really over the top, but in a good way - most of the time. Great singing - not the best singers persay, average joes who can hold a tune, if that makes any sense.

-

The majority of the cast are recognizable
faces that just so happen to sing better than I can. I was most impressed with the no holds barred, everyone is equal attitude. The relationship between Angel and Tom was easily the most endearing of the bunch, and just proves that we as a people are able to change our views on life and love. I liked the music for the most part, but having yet to see the play, I can not really compare it to anything. I really enjoy musicals and if all goes well will see the play locally at the beginning of the year.

Are there any changes in characters, dialouge, songs, etc from the original play? Does each interpation change on it's own?

Stand-out's:

Anthony Rapp and Jesse L. Martin in just about every scene.
Best song in my opinion was La Vie Boheme with the one with Tom singing about Angel a close second.

Anyone else notice that Mighty Duck's own Dean Stanton has sure packed on a great voice in Aaron Lohr during the Closing Time sequence? :)

I am hoping to catch the opening soon, as I missed everything up until the part where we first see Tom in the alley. Could someone do me a solid and tell me what happened? :)

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
/5

Ryan

EDIT:

Just realized that some of the cast members are actually from the play, three cheers for them. lol

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

The movie opens with the 8 cast members on stage with spotlights above them and they sing Seasons of Love and then it goes dark again and comes back with Mark's hard-scrabble video and narration of the time & place. At Mark & Roger's apartment they sing the song Rent and at the end Tom calls the two from the pay phone across the street to say he's back in town. Mark goes out on the balcony and drops his keys to him. As Tom approaches the building door, an unsavory type asks him for a light while the rest of his gang approaches from behind. Tom busts a few moves to break free and makes a run to the alleyway looking for an escape, but is trapped. The hoods catch him & beat him up, taking his possessions, including his winter coat. This is where Angel finds him.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
That makes a lot of sense now regarding the coat. Thanks David!

And thanks to this thread, I have been checking up a lot on this movie now over the last couple of hours... slowly growing to appreciate everything more and more as things go. And humming "Tango Maureen" nonstop.

Ryan

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was where one of my favorite lines was lost in the transition to spoken word from song:

Angel: You okay, honey?
Tom: I'm afraid so.
Angel: They get any money?
Tom: No, had none to get. But they purloined my coat! Well you missed a sleeve! Thanks.
Angel: Hell, it's Christmas Eve. I'm Angel!
Tom: Angel... indeed. An angel of the first degree!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks