Reno 911: Funniest new show on television?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brian Kidd, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I caught the premiere of this show on Comedy Central last night at 10:30. I had heard nothing about it until I saw some promo spots for it last night. The promos weren't the best, but I noticed that the show featured former The State members Kerri Kinney, Thomas Lennon, and Ben Garant. I decided to give it a spin.

Boy was I glad that I did.

The show is a parody of COPS, but with more time spent on the personalities of the officers. It has a vibe to it much like Christopher Guest's films. You can tell that these folks impov their asses off.

You can check out the website here.

Anyone else catch this last night?

2. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I think comedy central has had a promo for this one at every single commercial break on the network for the past week.

Anyway, I caught it. It was uh...all over the place, I thought. Once or twice it was pretty funny, but most of the time it just fell on its face.

It seemed like it was trying to work too many angles. Trying to be Cops, Super Troopers, and a little soap opera-ish, too. The whole show just feels like its trying too hard. I can't imagine it'll be around long if the rest of the episodes are like the premier. But, then again, Crank Yankers is still on the air...

JQ

3. David Egan

David Egan Stunt Coordinator

There currently isn't a major network sitcom on the air that I can take so I'm pretty reliant on CC and Cops reruns for televised amusement. I thought this was funny enough and I liked the characters.

4. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I thought it was pretty damn hilarious. The scene with the hookers? Hilarious:

"Doesn't the Lieutenant have Fridays off?"
    "He's working vice tonight."

I personally feel The State was one of the most underrated comedy shows ever. If they want to bring half the cast back, I say do it. Besides, it warms me up for the Daily Show.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

6. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I wish I had Comedy Central....I won't till we DirecTV back when we move in two months. I watch anything and everything that comes from the mind of "The State". I really wish Paramount/MTV would release a DVD of it.

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

It was much better than I expected so I will be watching next week.

8. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Bump...

I really enjoyed this show last week. I realize it might take an acquired taste, but I wanted to remind everyone that the second episode is on tonight right after "South Park." Give it a whirl! [​IMG]

9. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I finally watched the show last nite.

I am in agreement that they are trying too hard to be funny. Everything seems predictable. The gay cop hitting on guys he pulls over and having a crush on another cop, the black female cop jealous because her former lover who is a black cop is now shagging a white female cop. A dumb cop. A female cop with emotional problems falling for the gay cop.

Granted the show did have some funny moments but the writing and overall direction of the show is lacking. Too much of a soap-opera too soon in the series. I'll still be checking out the show tonite.

Paul

10. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

have you guys ever seen the stella shorts on statemedia.net? head on over there and watch "bored" and "the woods"-and look out for some cameos from some celebrities.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Haven't seen the show yet, but considering how often they show the promos the fact that I haven't grown to despise it is amazing. Two bit from the commericals had me laughing out loud the first couple of times I saw them: the scene where they storm the surprise party and one of the cops shoots one of the party guest. The other is the comment by the one female officer (paraphrasing): "The lt. and I have a relationship like that between brother and sister. Except were like the brother and sister who have sex with each other."

12. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The State's kind of humor was one of those love it or hate it kind of deals. I think that people who really liked The State and WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER will like RENO 911.

I didn't get to see last night's episode, but I taped it and will watch it tonight. The promo for it with the mullet-headed naked dude made me crack up. They've gotten the COPS parody dead on.

Addendum
    I finally watched it last night. While the laughs were not as consistent, some things were still great. Kerri Kinney and the prostitution sting operation comes to mind. Plus it was nice to see Joe LaTruglio (sp?) of The State make an appearance. It was still good enough for me to keep watching, unlike the new REN AND STIMPY show. *Sigh*

13. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Nick, be sure to get a DirecTivo so you won't miss any of the goods, if you don't have a Tivo unit of some sort already.

14. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I didn't want to start a new thread but I want to chime in and say that in my opinion it is the funniest new show on television.

I am pleasantly surprised on how far Comedy Central allows them to push the envelope. Particularly in an episode where the officers are trying to accumulate points to go to an execution and they get bonus points if the culprit is a Jew. Sometimes I feel almost dirty watching the show though. I probably would not reccomend this to anyone below the age of 16. That's cable for you I suppose.

This I hope this show has a deservedly-long life on CC. I cannot think of one character that gut-bustingly funny and the material could be endless (It is improvised after all). It seems relatively cheap so I think it has a really good chance.

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

How often can you beat up a mime?

....often! [​IMG]