Rendezvous With Rama (merged)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Glenn_Jn, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking around trying to fnd out what's going on with this film. There is an official site and a couple of David Fincher sites that have SOME news, but they don't seem to have anything current. Has this project died or are we going to have another Alien3 debacle. Endless rewrites and director changes. This has the potential to be one of the finest sci-fi films in a long time. Great story, great director David Fincher and Morgan Freeman heading the cast.
    The release date being touted is 2006. I truly hope not. That seems like a eternity. I know it will be a huge task to bring this to the big screen (if you've read the book you will know why) but 3 years jeez! The real Rama will of appeared in our solar system by then.

This thread should be in the movies forum (sorry)can someone move it please.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Even though it does need to be moved, since it's animated it takes that long to make

3. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

As far as I can tell this will not be an animated film. There was some speculation that it would be totally CGI; but I don't think this is true. The film would require some rather spectacular effects with a great deal of CGI; but in generall it whould be live action. Why else would you need Fincher to direct? At any rate, I would be disapointed if this was completeley animated.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Glenn_Jn wrote:
    The original story from which this is summarized, "Freeman in Par's 'Circle'" is posted online (dateline: Sun., Nov. 17, 2002, 10:00pm PT), but accessible only to Variety subscribers.

5. Glenn_Jn

Rex

Thanks for the info. I can't believe this project has been kicking around for so long (it was listed under Fincher's credits on the Alien3 DVD booklet and that was 3 years ago) and they're still deciding wether to make it or not. This is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

I agree this is NOT an animated film. Why would Morgan Freeman be in it otherwise. The vast amount of CGI will be needed because of the physical nature of Rama. The emense size of it and the cylindrical aspect of the interiors pretty much rule out a "real" set.

6. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

i was very surprised to see this was in development. I love the story and think it would be a potentialy spectacular film (with fincher nonetheless!); but i just would never believe a studio would buy into the general story idea.

i mean, an alien ship finds it's way into our solar system, we break in, we find a bunch of wild and essentially unexplained stuff, we leave, the ship leaves.

Of course that's wildly over simplified; but that is what a studio suit would think. Ultimately this is why having fincher at the helm gives this movie such a great chance. He has a history of not backing down to the studio when they want to change something -fundemental- to the script. I have heard stories dealing with both seven and fight club where a spinless director may have given in and we would have two largely immemorable films. I imagine him saying "okay we can change this and add this to generate some cinematic tension and excitement; but ultimately RAMA -is- -this- and i will not budch."

So, i am very excited about the potential for this film; but i will believe it when i'm in the theater.

7. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Somebody should do Childhoods End!! Such a deep book about religion/faith/spirit/existentialism, our purpose on earth and beyond, what we should do with our time on earth (ie what a purposeful or meaningful life could/should be)...

Plus lots of sci fi, cloak and dagger, politics, exploration, tragedy, WOWOWOW just thinking about it....

Actually, why did RAMA get on the agenda? If I were thinking Clarke, I'd go with CE first for sure.

Dan

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Is Freeman in it, or just producing it?

(edit - nevermind, I see his procution site "Revelations" lists him as cast)

9. Glenn_Jn

Seth

Morgan Freeman is to play the Captain of the Endeavour

Dan

I couldn't disagree more. I too read CE but didn't find nearly as captivatng as Rama. I guess it depends what type of sci-fi you like. I am more interested in the universe and other "species" than I am in the human race. Rama along with Greg Bears "Eon" are the two most fascinating books I've read.

10. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I don't think Childhood's End could ever be brough to the big screen. So many other movies have 'borrowed' from it (most notably ID4) that people would think this is a cheap knock-off.
    [​IMG]

11. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

12. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Hmmm, small world. I forgot De Luca went to dreamworks. He was involved with PJ and LOTR early before he left New Line.

I won't hold my breath on Childhood's End, though. But it would be nice if they could start it before Clarke passes on. He is really getting on in years.

13. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi,

Paul, I'd like to hear more why you think CE couldn't be brought to screen. I don't think ID4 is a substantive knock, since the only comparison is the aliens arriving. Their purpose, how humans react, the dialogue that follows, etc, is so completely different.

I just don't see how a faithful rendition of CE would be a cheap knock off of anything (much less CE!!). Nothing else ponders evolution and meaning of life questions like CE.

"My dear Rikki, it is only by not taking human beings seriously that I retain my sanity" (rough quote) from CE.

I want this stuff on screen!!!

Dan

14. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I'm not saying that CE is a knock off. I saying as soon as you see the trailer with the huge disc shaped alien spacecraft hovering over the major cities, people are going to say: yeah right, what a knock off.

That was my sole point.

I would love to see this movie done right.

15. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi Paul, glad to hear it. Maybe one day we can say the push for CE started here...

On the trailers, I just hope that the marketeers AND the viewing public would see beyond the ship arrivals...

Who knows...

Dan

16. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
  17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    "Childhood's End" is perhaps my favorite SF novel of all time. I've been hoping for a good movie adaptation forever. In fact, back in the early 70s (when I was in my early teens and my heavy Clarke/Asimov phase) I seem to remember there was an abortive attempt or two to bring CE to the big screen. This was in the five years after 2001: A Space Odyssey and naturally filmmakers were looking at his other works.
    I wish Ms. Pierce the best of luck in bringing this story to the screen intact. She's going to need it. [​IMG]

18. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

19. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

20. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Yes I've been waiting for it for a while too, following the development, and am very glad to see Freeman's attitude towards it. Sure he cares, he's the one producing it, if he was just hired for one of the roles, maybe he'd care less, but still a serious actor of his caliber must always have some sort of input into his character and the movie as a whole.