Renaissance Faire...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Sometime in 1968-69 I attended a Renaissance Festival near Los Angeles. A thoroughly pleasant affair which was enhanced by many factors. Most of us in 1968 were already dressed for the Renaissance. I was 22. We were probably tripping. [​IMG]
    I've been in Texas for the last 30 years and have never had the desire to try to revisit the experience in the land of Shiner beer. My wardrobe has changed. I'm 57. I don't trip.
    So, there may be many reason why I HATED almost every moment of the Excalibur Fantasy Faire Renaissance Music, Magic and Mayhem... that I suffered through today near Bastrop, Texas.
    $32.00 to take the girlfriend and the 8 and 10 year old girls in the gate. After that it was just one booth after another of carny types in Gypsy dress.
    Lame musical entertainment. A small crowd.
    Are there still good "Faires" out there or have I just reached full curmudgeon stage?

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I JUST came from the one in Tampa - it was acceptable, but not excellent. It was an eclectic blend of hippy, haloween and renaissance. The shows were PG-13 mostly - not very family friendly. Few musicians. I enjoyed the crafts and games, but there was too much modern junk. (such as a crossbow that shot ping-pong balls - why not wooden balls?)

There is one in Novato, CA which I have fond memories of - though it has been 10 years. They had MANY performers and musicians, plus many who walked the crowds. (One tried to buy my date for a cow and two chickens!) They also have a very cool catapult game with prizes.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Seconds after entering, my companions, walking a few steps behind me, were asked if they wanted to have me put in jail....for $5.00.
    Now, that's entertainment.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Jim, this is totally offtopic, but I have to know, what does "G.I.'s Padlock Baghdad Paper Critical of U.S." mean? It's just such a weird statement.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

That's the name of my town Keith. By the way, is yours in Taylor or Collins County? [​IMG]

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Collins.

And I thought Intercourse was a strange town name.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I've attended the Minnesota Renaissance Festival for several years and love it. It's one of the largest in the US with an attendance of several hundred thousand every year. It's very popular in this area; crowded nearly all the time. It's huge in area also; if you're into it, it's an all-day affair. I love the entertainment (there's something called "Villivication Tennis" that will make you blush) - I haven't found a lame act yet, but I will say that the acts don't change a lot from year to year. Somehow it doesn't matter to me. The "drum battle" at the end of the day is the highlight for me. All entertainment is free although they do ask for donations.

The food is ok but not exceptional and, as is typical of these sorts of things, expensive. The best battered-fried cheese curds anywhere are found here; if you're a fan, they blow away the curds sold at our state fair.

Tons of craft booths; I think pretty highly of them, but I guess it depends on what you think of crafts in general.

If you're in the area, give it a try. It starts in September and runs through the end of October, on weekends and holidays. Get there early, because everyone else does.

I don't know if it's the one you attended, but a fair in Texas claims an even higher attendence than the Minnesota.

8. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hm...well, the big one in Texas every year should be the one in Plantersville sometime in the Fall I think. I find it reasonably entertaining, there are lots of shows and performances that are always fun to watch. Part of it is going in with the right attitude though, if you're determined to find everything to be campy/dull/etc., then that's probably the impression you'll leave with.

9. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    Eric,
    I just went to the one in Tampa on 3/28 too. I also thought it was just OK. Pretty much the same stuff they had the last time I went a few years ago.

One thing that I didn't mind were some of the skimpy outfits that were worn by some of the ladies in character. [​IMG]

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they have one all summer long not far from where I live. The locals hate it [​IMG]

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

The Pennsylvania faire is quite good. My wife and I go at least once a year. We often go more than once, bringing different groups of friends each time (who also come back year after year).

12. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

We have the "Bristol" Renaissance Faire in SE Wisconsin. I went a couple of times. It's always like 100° and muggy. It's something to do. And yes, Jim. Lots of carnie types and modern shit.

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I've been to Bristol, Scott... and it was 100°... except it had just poured the night before and I was up to my ankles in mud.

I don't think it's something you need to do more than once.

I must admit, however, I do like some of those "hippy-ish", "D&D-ish" arts and crafts. It harkens me back to my days as a nerd in high school.

Did I just use the word "harken"?!?!?

14. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

We have Scarborough Faire near Waxahachie, TX. I think it may actually be related to many of the other Faires out there, as they seem to be a touring troupe that does 3-week stands, using locals for extra color.

they are a lot like theme parks. The first time or two they are great, but when you keep seeing the same thing time and again it gets pretty old. The best part of the one mentioned above is/was (haven't been in a while) that they had a sheepdog demo. The guy would work his dogs using just whistles (as they reall do), and it was great to just sit and watch them. If only they had a sheep-pig.

Paul

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The Sterling Renaissance festival (Sterling NY.) is always on my list of things to do come summer. Its worth the drive/ride (its popular with motorcyclists) just for the food alone! (Mmmm..whole turkey legs [​IMG] )

Then you have three daily jousts, two armoured (Scripted but the wrong guy won the contest once after the usual winner broke his wrist in a swordfight). A variety of shakespeare plays, musicians, sword swallowers, an elephant to ride!, games of skill (javelin, archery, axe throwing, darts), et cetera.

And of course a whole bunch of people selling overpriced stuff. (Unless you happen to be in the market for custome sized armour, made-while-you-watch copper mirrors, or hand-blown glass). But where else can you buy beer and drink it from a cattle horn viking-style? (giant stoneware & pewter tankards also available).

Luckily everyone accepts ye-olde MasterCard, Visa, & "New World" Express (always get a chuckle out of that one). except the wandering pretzel, cookie, & flower salesmen.

And there are a few ride for kids that usually involve sitting in a barrel suspended by ropes and getting spun around until someone pukes. Lots of fun for a 8 year old.

16. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Alan-

I was just about to mention the Minnesota RenFest, which I enjoyed as well.

Yeah, that was surprisingly risque for a public show, but hey I didn't mind...and the other shows are fun too...

I went twice last year, and will probably go again this year.