Ren & Stimpy DVD News - John K Chat Transcript

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 20, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Here is a recent chat with John K. that reveals upcoming plans for Ren & Stimpy on DVD as well as some insight into a few episodes and extras, commentaries, etc. that can be expected to be released on the upcoming DVD set...

http://lyris-lite.net/johnk_chat.html

NOTE: According to John K, we can expect to be hit with an "Ultimate Ren & Stimpy" set down the line which basically will give us the exact same cartoons we already own, PLUS extras.

Does this piss anyone else off as much as it does me? How unprincipaled can you get? Not only will they plan to release 2 new Games sets first BEFORE even revealing this to us, but they expect us to consume everything so that can than take even more of our money! Why not just release this "Ultimate" set now, correcting the censorship issues from the first DVD and adding on the extra Games shorts so that consumer have the choice to spend more for the deluxe edition rather than throwing their money away on the same product multiple times!

Reissues are one thing... but three entire season sets?! That's just plain unethical.

PS - What are the chances of seeing "Farm Hands" on this upcoming set, according to TVTome, it was actually part of early season 4..?

2. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

I must say John Kricfalusi has a nerve when he says:

I know I started a thread on the DNR artifacting in LTGC Vols 1 and 2, but only *seven* cartoons out of 120 are affected – the rest look amazing. Compare that tally to the butchery throughout the first Ren and Stimpy set – as reported in this thread. I remember Kricfalusi's attitude to the damage was blasé, urging his public to buy it anyway, edits and all. The decision to re-release the existing R&S sets with further bonus materials at a later date – also with Kricfalusi's knowledge and indifference – is the icing on the cake.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I agree Chris, but it's not surprising coming from his mouth... he also managed to take a jab at Roger Rabbit in that chat too.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

"Does this piss anyone else off as much as it does me? How unprincipaled can you get? Not only will they plan to release 2 new Games sets first BEFORE even revealing this to us, but they expect us to consume everything so that can than take even more of our money!"

Just to take the opposite side, he DID reveal this info before the sets were all released. Yes, one set has been released and that sucks but no one is forcing you to buy the re-releases.

I have the first set and love the show but I doubt I'll ever buy the re-releases. If I hear that the extras are good maybe I would pick it up but I have no one to 'blame' but myself for re-buying it. If it bothers you, don't buy it.

5. Michael St. Clair

The first set was a good deal, very low price per cartoon.

Now I can sit back and wait before buying more. I'm glad John K. gave is the scoop.

As far as his opinions, well, that's John. He's extremely opinionated and very outspoken. I may not agree with all of his opinions, but that's OK.

I kind of agree with him on Roger Rabbit; while I don't think it's a lousy movie, a lot of the animation of the classic characters missed the mark.

6. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Notice that there was no mention whatsoever during the chat of the shortened and otherwise altered (forced fades, etc.) cartoons from the first set. If these were fixed, I'd buy a new set in a heartbeat. You betcha I would.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Yeah, no mention at all about the probelms on the original set. I get the impression that John K. still doesn't have a lot of control over his creation. I'll probably pick up the remaining sets, I can't see Paramount doing an Ultimate set. The prices are resonable enough. I'd rather a Spumco disc than an ultimate collection, with all the misc one-shot tunes and web episodes.

Based on that chat, I guess we wont see any more John K. commentaries on Loony Tunes. His commentary on "Piggy Bank Robbery" and coments in the Clampett Doc where hi-lghts for me.

8. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'll definitely pick up the next 2 releases, as well as "Adult Party Cartoon", but I have no interest in picking up an "Ultimate Collection" should there be one down the road. The first set was a decent price, and I'm assuming the remainder will be similar. As I stated some time ago in another thread, the fades didn't bother me in the least. The ONLY reason I'd even consider double dipping is if they restored the scenes that were cut from the existing release. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with what we've been given.

9. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

transcripts like that remind me how much of an a$$ John K is. i supported the previous shoddy R&S release... i think i've had enough.

i can't believe they had the nerve to put "UNCUT" on the cover.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Didn't buy the first set. Advertising uncut when you've actually got cuts is a big no, no for me and his explanation didn't help matters.

Now, this transcript just reenforces how glad I am by my earlier decision.

11. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

This coming from someone who destroyed his original characters with Adult Party Cartoon. Damn I hate that show with a vengence.

12. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

I agree COMPLETELY. They are not the same characters at all. The Ren & Stimpy we know and love have been raped, murdered and buried by their creator. All I want are uncut versions of all the old cartoons, even the Games episodes (which are WAAAAAAAAAAY better than APC). And then I'll be happy.

Re: the WB cartoons, do they really look that bad on the new DVD sets?

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

NO.

The DVNR issues on A COUPLE of cartoons on the last set did indeed effect the quality and upset me greatly but otherwise these shorts look great!

14. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Then what the HELL is he talking about???

15. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Jeffrey, he's talking about this, which we discussed here.

As the lyris-lite piece explains, DNR causes a lot of unnecessary damage, but John Kricfalusi is getting it way out of perspective when he says "they destroyed many of the cartoons". The cartoons that suffer from DNR are What's Up Doc, Boobs in the Woods and The Bugs Bunny Show opening on Volume 1, and The Big Snooze, Gorilla My Dreams, Have You Got Any Castles and Book Revue on Volume 2. That's *six* cartoons out of 120. Of course, that's six too many and I hope Warner (a) stops using DNR on its animation releases and (b) reissues the affected cartoons without DNR at some point, but apart from that LTGC 1 & 2 are fantastic sets: if you like Warner cartoons you should definitely buy them.

16. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
    I know what DVNR is...what I meant was, since it only affects a few cartoons on the first disc (admittedly a few too many), he's going WAY overboard when saying that the sets are "fucked in every way" and that they "destroyed many of the cartoons".

17. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Right, Jeffrey – didn't see where you were coming from when you said "what the HELL is he talking about?". I'm glad we agree.