What's new

Ren and Stimpy advance reviews (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I wasn't so much responding to your post, as reminded by it. It wasn't against you personally, it just seemed to me like the right time to remind people, as the thread had the potential to get quite heated. I didn't figure you would handle yourself in any way other than the appropriate way. So please don't take offense, it was really a general sort of statement.

I don't care what the price is, like I said, I'd have less of a problem with this if they didn't claim that these were uncut episodes, in fact I might still have bought it under that scenario, but the fact they're calling them something they're not means no sale.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
QUESTION FOR YOU FOLKS:

Are the cut episodes on this new set presented "uncut" on the Time-Life set? And are the cut episodes on the Time-Life set uncut on this new set? I understand the cuts are not the same on both sets. If one has both sets, how many episodes are still cut?

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, John K, creator of the show, sent a statement to Paramount, who in turn sent it to Gord at TV Shows On DVD............

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2290

In all honesty, I'm not sure what to make of his comments. If he was involved with the production of this set, I find it highly unlikely that he, the creator of the show, overlooked so many cuts, especially ones that fans of the show were able to pinpoint.

Yes, we're going to blame the producers. They're the ones who sticked a nice big fat "UNCUT" on the front of the box. All of this doesn't add up. I personally think John K. is in a panic right now, which is why he emphasized in his note at least half a dozen times to "Buy this set!" and "Blame Nickelodeon". Something just smells really fishy about all of this. After reading what he had written, the taste in my mouth is even more sour than before. I refuse to buy it in its current state.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Unless these have much better Video/Audio quality, it looks like my Time Life DVDs will have to do

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I was going to get this set as Ihaven't seen these in a long time. The link posted above detailing the cuts says the entire Bloody Head Fairy bit has been cut out. If that's true, there's no point watching it at all IMO. Maybe I'll rent them, but certainly not purchase them.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
You would think that John K. would be more upset about this. Frankly his excuses and his hocking over and over again to 'Buy This Set Anyway' has ensured that I won't purchase it. And if Paramount ends up doing a 'real' Uncut edition, I'd probably skip it then also. I'm not going to blame Nick on this one, because there's no reason that Nick would cut some of the stuff that did turn up cut on the DVD's. So I don't care what John K. is saying, down with him and the whole production team. :thumbsdown:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yet another unfortunate DVD screw-up that could have easily been avoided had they involved some fans in the production.

Why the producers of these things don't tap into the rabid fanbase of these shows during the production phase, in order to avoid this very sort of situation, never ceases to amaze me.

Find a group of fans and play them the proposed content of the DVD set. You will get immediate feedback as to whether the episodes are "uncut" or not.

It astounds me that they'd rather freeze out the fans, put out a flawed product, then have to go on the defensive when the fanbase is critical of the product. Not to mention the lost sales.

Amazing.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I'll defend John K. on this.

Nickelodeon is one of the most ignorant television companies around. They really make my blood boil. I hate that channel.

Why wouldn't they delete or hide away stuff? Because they thought it was a kid's show... Ren & Stimpy is a grown up show. I never understood why it was on Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon is supposed to be a channel for KIDS!!!!!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that what fluff for an explanation. And you're right Mike, it's kinda bad how he keeps saying "buy it anyway" and "talk about the good stuff first, then mention the cuts" in Amazon reviews.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Yeah, I know Nick is known for cuts. But some of the stuff cut on this set is stuff I remember seeing even right before Ren and Stimpy stopped airing on Nick. So I'm not going to blame Nick on this one, and going to levy it purely on John K. and the Production team. Somehow they got butchered versions of some of the episodes, and didn't even realize it. Yet the moment fans see it, they recognize the cuts. It sounds like a piss poor job, and like I said..... I'm stunned at John K. trying to sell the set, instead of being peeved that the product is inferior. :frowning:

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I was still thinking of buying this but not now. Not after that response. Buy this anyway, even though it is false advertising! No Thanks!

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
While I agree that the "Uncut" designation is a big mistake, upon seeing the final list of cut stuff, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Shouldn't have happened at all, sure, but I thought all the episodes would be hacked up based on the initial reports. And John K's response didn't strike me as so bad. He seems like he wants to try to remedy it somehow. Who knows, maybe he or Paramount will find some way to offer a disc with the cut episodes restored. I agree it's a big blunder, but I'm willing to give all parties a chance to remedy it somehow.

Hey at least they're not saying it was an "intentional artistic decision". :b

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What doesn't make sense to me is that the cut segments of Stimpy brushing his teeth among some of the other mentioned edits were never before censored on Nickelodeon or any other network syndicated rerun! That's why it'd seem pretty difficult for me to accept John K's statements considering these just seem like obvious sloppy production oversights rather than censored network cuts. I'm sure all the prints are readily accessible, it's just a shame that such an otherwise excellent and elaborate set has to be flawed with significant and unnecessary episode cuts...

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
"Don't blame the producers"?!?

Hmm, who would be the ones responsible for knowing their own product well enough to know missing footage when they (don't) see it?

Who would be the ones responsible for leaving no stone unturned to acquire complete masters?

Who would be responsible for properly archiving the shows in the first place?

The producers, that's who.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I still think that Paramount should issue a recall and fix the problem. The have got to be exposing themselves to potential legal action if they release something falsely claiming to be uncut. And to think, I was so waiting to see Grandpa whistling to R&S in the tub in "The Big Baby Scam" It was so delighfully weird

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I was never going to buy this set, but I still feel bad for the fans of the show, especially since they were blatantly lied to on the cover of the set.

John's response was simply trying to throw the blame off of himself. And it looks like everyone here saw through it.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

I agree. An ad in Entertainment Weekly has a big bubble that says "32 Uncut cartoons" We need to do something. They cannot get away with this.

Go to dvdempire and look at the back cover. It says "experience the first and second seasons of the Ren and Stimpy Show in the way John K. always wanted you to see them- unalterd, uncut, and untamed."

John*P

Second Unit
I was on the fence regarding this set, but after reading this thread, not only did I fall off, I landed on my head.

I am utterly disgusted...I can't believe they released a DVD set with "UNCUT" on the cover, when in fact, it is edited. Unreal. You know, I think they did more harm than good by putting that false claim on the box. (with the die-hard fans, anyway) I probably would have bought the set if it weren't for that. Its the principal, you know...

Well, I guess I'll have to settle for my still-in-great-condition Ren & Stimpy VHS collection that was released by Nickelodeon in the early 90s. (I think there are 12 or so tapes? I have 'em all, and the episodes are indeed uncut) I also have homemade tapes with all the original John K uncut episodes from Nickelodeon anyway...good thing I had the foresight to tape those. I'll be using those to get my occasional R&S fix. No way I'm buying that DVD set...

First Alf, now Ren & Stimpy...what's next?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks