REM's 'Reveal'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris c, Jul 12, 2001.

1. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

This is my favorite REM album. Anyone else's?

2. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

While I love 'Reveal', I still feel that 'Automatic for the People' is their best work.

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I'm a "out of Time" fan. Love the folk-twang of the CD. Every year I find myself listening to it more and more. Each song replaces another as my current favorite. There is not another Cd that I have that can make this claim, right now its "me in honey" as my fav.

4. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

While I love 'Man on the Moon', I hate 'Everybody hurts' with a such a passion that the entire album leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. The rest of the album is excellent, though.
    'Reveal' just seems to flow really well in a way no other REM album does, for me at least.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Odd, the REM release that I still find to be my favorite is the Rockville / Wolves UK single a cousin gave me when I turned 10!
    I still listen to it from time to time; Wolves is still the first REM song that I fell in love with as a kid.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I am of the opinion that REM's carreer ended at Out of Time; I have found NONE of the albums since Out of Time to have 1/100th the passion and honesty of the late 80's output.
    They just sound, to me, like old guys who are studio musicians.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    "If you want everything to be cheap then you're in the wrong hobby." -Rob Gillespie
    Got Remo?

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I haven't heard the new one yet, but since we're listing favorites...
    Murmur is my favorite, followed by Out of Time.
    -Dan

7. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Vince, I largely agree with you. However, I think that end-point came one album later... with Automatic.
    Funny. When this new album was released, I remember asking a friend of mine, "When did R.E.M. become irrelevant?"

8. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I dunno, I'm more of a fan of their "recent" work (let's say, "Out of Time" onward), but I do love their early stuff as well, especially Murmur. That being said, I love Reveal. Sometimes I do feel like I'm the only one who likes Monster and Up (which I think is an absolutely brilliant album). I also find that New Adventures grows on me every time I listen to it (with Electrolite being one of my favorite songs of theirs). I don't know, whenever I listen to their old albums, I really like what I hear, but the all seem very similar and therefore quite repetitive (and yes, I realize that this is the REM "sound"). I for one am glad that they've been going in new directions for the past ten years. All told, Reveal sounds more reserved than some of the other stuff they've been putting out lately, if a little more grounded. It sounds kind of like a cross between Up and Automatic (which isn't a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination). I can't stop listening to Chorus and the Ring.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Sex? We're men! We wrestled!"
    -Barton Fink

9. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I think their last album of any worth was Green, with everything that's followed sounding much too commercial and half-assed to these ears.
    Reckoning remains my favorite.
    [Edited last by DonaldB on July 13, 2001 at 07:08 PM]

10. andrew markworthy

Strange, I thought that after Green, R.E.M. first learnt to write recognisable tunes ...

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I like the new album a lot, except for a couple of tracks. That said I still think Automatic and Out Of Time were the band's two best works. After that, they did what U2 did after The Joshua Tree and went weird.

12. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Sod all the naysayers.... Reveal is a great album - being HIGHLY overlooked in the US .
    C'mon people - five years from now you will be calling this one of the best "summer" records of all time (thank god that at least the European market recognizes this). This album absolutely "reeks" summer at the beach.
    I think of it as a collection of singles that should of been hits, but granted_ there are a couple of "b" sides on there.
    ------------------

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

But I prefer the new album by Travis.

14. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

REM is OK, but you guys are missing out! See my post in this section
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000443.html
    for some great CD recommendations...I'm telling ya you guys are missing out on some great stuff! C'mon...take a chance!
    The music few have heard usually is among the best music you'll ever hear.