Removing wood stain / restaining (pics)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleGS, Jan 1, 2003.

1. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I just completed my 122L Tempest but I stained it too light. The pine laminate just soaked up the "natural" color and wouldn't let anything darker to soak up. I know how to get the polyurethane off but how can I get the old stain off to restain it darker? Is sanding the only way?
    I'm using Formby's to removing the poly.
    http://groups.msn.com/KyleStevensHom...to&PhotoID=379

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Any of the major hardware/home improvement stores will have stripper that can take stain off of wood. I'm doing my kitchen cabinet doors at the moment, removing 40 yr old varnish with the first srtip and the stain with a second strip. You won't get back to totally unstained looking wood but it will only have a light tint to it and you can restain to whatever you want.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

If by "natural" you mean Minwax's natural stain, then what you have is not stain at all, simply urethane oil. You'll be hard pressed to remove it, since it is designed to penetrate into the wood. Being veneer, you won't be able to sand down far enough w/o going thru the veneer. You can probably add some color, however, with some ordinary stain as long as you lay it on the surface w/o trying to wipe it off. You can also add some stain to polyurethane to tint it and that will also add some color. Keep in mind, both processes will muddle the natural grain of the wood some. I would try an area on the back or bottom first, to see if it's what you want. If not, you could always re-veneer....

Pete

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I have 3/4" Pine Laminate. Its plenty thick enough to sand down. I suspected the natural was just plain oil. I think I'll try it out. I've never tried blending the stain and poly. I may try that on a practice board.