What's new

Removing the grill on an SVS....? (1 Viewer)

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday I noticed a rattling noise coming from my 25-31PCi. I looked down the port and noticed what appeared to be paper-like material that separated from the inside of the port. When the bass would kick in, I would hear the sound of paper rattling.

Is there any way to remove the grill from the sub in order to remove this loose material? Should it even be removed?

Basically, is this a problem that I can fix, or should I ship it back to SVS since the warranty is still valid?

Regards,

- S.D.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday I noticed a rattling noise coming from my 25-31PCi. I looked down the port and noticed what appeared to be paper-like material that separated from the inside of the port. When the bass would kick in, I would hear the sound of paper rattling.

Is there any way to remove the grill from the sub in order to remove this loose material? Should it even be removed?

Basically, is this a problem that I can fix, or should I ship it back to SVS since the warranty is still valid?

Regards,

- S.D.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Easiest fix is to ask SVS to ship you a new vent. Remove the grill (easy), and change out the vent (also easy). The whole job should take about 5 minutes; no need to ship it back, unless you really want to.

Email SVS tech support and they will square you up right away and you'll be back in business in no time flat.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Easiest fix is to ask SVS to ship you a new vent. Remove the grill (easy), and change out the vent (also easy). The whole job should take about 5 minutes; no need to ship it back, unless you really want to.

Email SVS tech support and they will square you up right away and you'll be back in business in no time flat.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Shane,

I believe Tom in Tech Support let you know we'd send a new port in the morning, but if you can grasp and cut off the offending bit of port lining in the mean time, go for it.

The grill is meant to be removed. Just think of it as a large steel "Tupperware" top. It can pop off starting right where the fabric and the metal meet. Usually a simple "bear hug" of the sub with you pushing up with your finger tips is enough to get the grill loose. Sometimes prying up with a table knife (not a sharp one) is needed to get it started.

Give this a shot since you will need to do it to replace the port anyway. The port is held in with 4 Phillips head screws and can be swapped in about a minute.

Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Shane,

I believe Tom in Tech Support let you know we'd send a new port in the morning, but if you can grasp and cut off the offending bit of port lining in the mean time, go for it.

The grill is meant to be removed. Just think of it as a large steel "Tupperware" top. It can pop off starting right where the fabric and the metal meet. Usually a simple "bear hug" of the sub with you pushing up with your finger tips is enough to get the grill loose. Sometimes prying up with a table knife (not a sharp one) is needed to get it started.

Give this a shot since you will need to do it to replace the port anyway. The port is held in with 4 Phillips head screws and can be swapped in about a minute.

Ron

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Not the best photo, but I remember a rash of questions about removing the grill, and I always had trouble getting the grill off my 20-39PC+. I found a small flathead screwdriver to do the trick:

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Not the best photo, but I remember a rash of questions about removing the grill, and I always had trouble getting the grill off my 20-39PC+. I found a small flathead screwdriver to do the trick:

-Robb

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator
FOLLOW UP:

I notified SVS, and Tom e-mailed me back promptly. Nice guy, and he's sending a new port my way shortly.

Thanks for the replies, guys...and thank you, Tom and Ron, for the great customer service.

I'll definitely be giving SVS my future subwoofer business (that is, when the day comes that we move into a larger house that may prompt me to add a second sub).

Thanks again, guys.

Regards,

- Shane D.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
Good luck! I tried to remove the grill from my unit once, but could not figure out how to do it without messing up the edge of the grill and the fabric. It is on so tight you'd think it was superglued on!

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Always wondered about how to remove the grill as I have the option of blocking one or two ports to tune my PC+2039 down lowed than 20Hz.

Good Info...
Bill

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator

I was afraid too, it's one there pretty darn good the first time or two you take it off, then it gets a little bit easier.

Just take the screwdriver (flat) put it in there and slowly rotate the screwdriver, it will raise it a little bit, keep going around the sub until you get it off.

Pretty easy... :)

Though when you get it off, you might be like me and find out that it's missing one screw... ;) ha ha.

Dwayne-S

Agent
In order to avoid scratching the side of the grill as you pry up on it - wrap the end of the screwdriver with electrical tape and use a screw driver with a broad tip (if available) to distribute the force over a larger contact area.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Stop! STOP! Before it's too late! :D

A blunt table knife would really be better.

Turned sideways along (at a tangent) to the edge of the grill and rotated gently. No screwdriver in my possession (and I have dozens & dozens) offers as wide a support for the thin grill edge as a blunt knife blade used sideways on.

A screwdriver is far too localised a pressure and far more likely to slip in the hands of someone not used to handling tools every day.

The thin shank of a screwdriver is also likely to put very severe localised pressure on the top outer edge of the tube as you lever downwards. Possibly damaging the cloth and the tube material into the bargain. There is little to resist such localised pressure here. Where do you think all that lever resistance is coming from? The fulcrum will be the extreme outer edge of the tube! :b

You'll never be able to sell it to upgrade to an Ultra or PB4+ if your grill is covered in scratches and dents and the cloth is ripped or tube is crushed! :frowning:

ChrisBee :wink:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I've removed the grill on my 20-39 PC+ many times, a butter knife works best. No sharp edges and a nice wide edge to slip under the grill. You can also use a quarter, or just your fingernail tips (though this won't work if it is tight.) Screwdriver works well too, but as stated careful not to jam it in and scratch the grill.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Dan, your 20-39PC+ is deliberately missing a screw. Installing a screw in that hole would damage one of the vents, and the inner ring is plenty secure already and doesn't need the additional screw anyway. :emoji_thumbsup:

And I agree with the butter knife lengthwise as being the best tool for prying up the cylinder; it is broad and dull and that will minimize the potential for damage to the grille ring, the paint, or the fabric. Once you get it started in a few spots, it will come off pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks