Removing The "Grey" Bars on a Toshiba WideScreen RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Cooper, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Hello all,

I have a Toshiba TW40x81, and would like to know if it is possible to change the color of the grey bars in the 4x3 mode to black.

I found on the KoehiHDTV website an explanation on how to do this by changing some values in the ADDR mode, but that requires a special remote to complete.

Is there any way do do this in the regular Service or Designer mode?

Thanks.

2. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

3. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Nope. The only way to do this is in the ADDR menu. The only way to access the ADDR menu is by using a One-For-All remote.
    Instructions: Turn Those Gray Bars Black

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    A simpler way, and that will not increase the chance of burn-in, is to make some black mattes that cover the grey bars. You don't see grey bars and your TV is better guarded against burn-in than if you did get black bars.

5. Dan Seewald

Dan Seewald Stunt Coordinator

First of all, those bars are not supposed to be presented in grey, but completely black. Any grey you see is a result of your TVs brightness setting being too high. Bring that setting down just to the level where darkest scenes in the picture are at just black in level. Any objects in the picture at black and below black should not be seen at all. Another chance of improper settings are in the contrast. White scenes should never be blooming. Take a look at white shirt collars on the news channels. Are they excesively bright in contrast level than other objects which are darker? If so, then the contrast setting needs to come down as well. On some sets, the brightness and contrast adjustments inter-act with each other. Turning the brightness down may negatively affect the level of contrast as well and vice-versa. You may have to go back and forth with these adjustments to get a more proper blend of brightness and contrast. The Video Essentials disc explains this process much better than I can, but I can only tell you that the truly outstanding picture quality I have achieved from my TV could never have been done without this invaluable disc. Try it and you will never do without it.

Dan

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

7. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Like Jesse said, Toshiba model widescreen TV's are supposed to have gray bars rather than black bars.

8. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,

Another option is using an htpc.

If you have one, sending the feed into the capture card and running dscaler will produce an image with black bars vs. gray.

Just keep in mind the possible onset of burn-in because of the black bars.

Thanks,

Errol

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys!

Jeff, I can turn your side bars black if you'd like me to when I come and calibrate your set next month. Most people prefer to keep them grey as this will reduce the chance of burn in over the long term. It is your choice though.

Gregg