Removing the "feet" from a receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Clay D. Major, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Clay D. Major

Is there any real harm in removing the feet from a receiver (in this case it's to get it to rack properly). The shelving I'm using is top-and-bottom vented, so air circulation shouldn't be an issue; should I be concerned for any other reason?

Thanks,

Clay

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s no problem to remove the feet in your situation. However, make sure that you do not have other equipment mounted directly above or below the receiver. If you do that it will have no internal air circulation, no matter how well the rack itself is ventilated. Leave at least a single rack space below and a double rack space above the receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    delete double post

4. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Clay,

the feet, obviously, allow air to enter from underneath the receiver. The vent holes in the shelving may not align with all the air inlets on the bottom of the unit. Removing the feet, even if there is nothing on top of the unit, may impede proper ventilation and contribute to premature breakdown of your receiver. Aside from that there is no harm in taking them off. [​IMG]

Marty

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Besides the ventilation hole match-up that Marty mentions, it's possible that the maker uses the case it self as part of the receiver's overall heat disipation approach (as a heatsink.) Also, shelves and such often have a sound related resonant characteristic to them. The feet help keep this lower by isolation from the surface.

If it were mine, I would not remove the feet...

6. Clay D. Major

Great, thank you everyone. Exactly the kind of specifics I was looking for, this forum is invaluable. Thanks again!

(PS - The feet can stay, I took a crowbar to the rack and made room for 'em!)

-cdm