What's new

removing speaker smell (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I picked up this pair of old speaker from a garage sale. they sound great but they really stink. they smell so musty the make the whole room stink. what can I do to remove this smell?

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
take them to the Salvation Army, and go buy a new pair of speakers.

Coincidentally, we had a huge flood in parts of Edmonton last month, and we have been dealing with a large number of insurance claims to replace AV gear that was water damaged.

More than one person I have spoken to in the last couple of weeks have encountered serious mildew problems in their speakers. Mold and mildew infestations = throw it out!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You could try picking up a container of an odor absorber. Put the speakers along with the odor absorber under a tarp for a few days and see if the smell is removed.

The speakers could have also been a part of a home with smokers in it. The smoke can make them reek pretty bad, too.

Ryan T

Second Unit
If they are ported you can stick and air freshener in them. Just think ever time theres some bass you'll get a puff of fresh air :D.

Seriously though, I've had used speakers (and one pair of headphones) that really stunk. I didnt do anything and I either got used to it or it went away within a day or two. You could try to maybe using a slightly damp cloth with a very small smount of soap and wash the enclosures down. But That might cause damage to the enclosure dempending on how it was finsished. Most the time with the older speakers the stink wasnt just on the surface it was inside (if ported). I guess the damping materials picked up the smell. In this case you might want to try the glade or whatever air freshner in the speaker and possibly replaceing any batting or fiberglass inside.

Ryan
P.S. Use any of my suggestions at your own risk. If the air freshner melts the surrounds or something its not my fault :D

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
Take the covers off and wash them in the sink or tub with some detergent. The fabric of covers will hold the smell more then the wood of the cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks