Removing Sharpie from DVD discs (label side)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob Movies, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought Punch-Drunk Love and One Hour Photo used from Blockbuster. When I got the discs home, I see that they've been marked up with sharpie marker - they have BBV and the disc numbers written on them. In addition to Sharpie, the PDL Disc is marked with some sort of gold pen.

Is there any solution that I can use to remove this writing without damaging the disc? Has anyone experienced this before when buying previously viewed?

Thanks!

Bob

2. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

That's happened to me... but I did it myself. I used to mark my DVDs with a Sharpie just to remind friends who borrowed them who they belonged to. But I stopped doing it... marking them, that is, but I still loan them out, to a select few friends.

I hope your disks were only marked on the inner hub, not the silkscreened label. Anyway, go to your pharmacy and get the purest grade isopropyl alcohol (98%, I think), and with Q-Tips, you should be able to carefully rub them off. I didn't think it would work either since those Sharpies are supposed to be permanent. But it works.

Good luck.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Also, try Goo Gone or Sticky Stuff Remover; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But this is what I use on my Blockbuster PVs.

4. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

I second Goo Gone. I have used it on the blockbuster black sharpie and even the gold and silver pens that they sometimes used. Worked great!